Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create curved ramp

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
nkloski
7854 Views, 35 Replies

Create curved ramp

Hi all!

There has to has to has to be a more elegant way to create a curved ramp than to futz with the coil tool creation, moving the coil, combine/cut. etc.  Anyone have any ideas to create a simple linear ramp around a section of a circle (as in the picture and fusion file below)?

curved ramp.PNG

I tried sweep with guides, but that did not work....lofting a small rectangular profile at the minimum edge with rails but that did not work either...ideas?  The coil tool has a lot of work to get it to work, and I suspect with all the manual "move" commands to get the coil in the right place that the parametrics will get off at that part of the design.

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
nkloski
in reply to: nkloski

Ah, another day, a new try.  I think  I got this to work, though it is not the best-best, it will do:

• Create a perpendicular large profile where you want the ramp to stop
  • Create a super tiny/thin profile where you want the ramp to start
  • Create a distinct arc between the two outside edges to act as a rail (a projection will not do, since the projection goes all the way around the circle and your arc can only exist between your two profiles)
  • Loft between the two, using the outside edge as a rail

Then it works!...the "super thin" profile can then be filleted down to make it smooth.  

Nick Kloski
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 36
SaeedHamza

Hi,

Could you please share a screencast of this

here is my way of doing it

Best regards, Saeed

Message 4 of 36
nkloski
in reply to: SaeedHamza

Sure, here is how I did it.

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Message 5 of 36
nkloski

oops, forgot to attach screencast!

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Message 6 of 36
HughesTooling

I tried something similar but it didn't follow a circular path at the ramp height. As you can see it bulges out in the middle of the path. Did your method work better and can you attach your version, my effort is attached.

before.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 7 of 36
SaeedHamza

Nice and simple, thanks for sharing

Best of luck my friend

Message 8 of 36

Looks like I was typing at the same time as you. It looks like your version suffers with the same problem. You can get rid of the fillet blend if you make both rectangular profiles start below the top face of the disk.

before.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 9 of 36
nkloski
in reply to: HughesTooling

Ah, good point about where to start the small profile!

Is that bulging a bug?

Also, for some reason, I am able to do the loft if the starting points form an acute angle, but not an obtuse one?

In the screenshot below, the starting points/rail are past 180 degrees from each other, and I get a "Cannot create Loft - Tangent to Profiles" error.  If the angle is under 180 degrees it works but more than 180 degrees and it fails.

cannotTangetToProfiles.PNG

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Message 10 of 36
SaeedHamza

It worked fine with me

loft ramp.png

Message 11 of 36
HughesTooling

Here's another idea. First build the ramp oversize then extrude-intersect to trim to the correct size.

Screencast and file's attached.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 12 of 36
SaeedHamza

Hi @HughesTooling,

I don't really get it, why create it to be bigger and then extrude cut?

Message 13 of 36
nkloski

Yep, there was a very slight bulge.

I just created a sketch on the very bottom, offset the existing outer edge by a bit to create a ring, then extrude-cut that ring up to make it perfectly round.

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Message 14 of 36
HughesTooling

@SaeedHamza

Can you attach your version? When I've tried there's a bulge halfway between the 2 profiles, it shows more if there's a big height difference between the 2.

You can see the bulge in the image below.

before.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 15 of 36
SaeedHamza

@HughesTooling

I'm not having any bulges when I try loft, here is a screencast of what I did

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/3563f5ac-fcdb-476f-9f4d-22bfeb15cf1f

file is attached

Saeed

Message 16 of 36
SaeedHamza

@HughesTooling

I'm not having any bulges when I try loft, here is a screencast of what I did

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/3563f5ac-fcdb-476f-9f4d-22bfeb15cf1f

file is attached

Saeed

Message 17 of 36
nkloski

Hi @SaeedHamza Your overhang is not on the outside, it is on the inside of the ring. This is a bottom view of your file:

bulge.PNG

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Message 18 of 36
SaeedHamza

lol it's just the camera 😛

this is how it looks like in the orthographic

Orthographic.png

and this is perspective

perspective.png

Message 19 of 36
HughesTooling

@SaeedHamza Thanks, I see you used a full circle as your path and that works a lot better.

@nkloski I think what you're seeing in the image above is because you have perspective view enabled, I have my camera set up as perspective with ortho faces. 

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 20 of 36

Hi Nick,

going to offer another approach using a mix of Revolve and Loft.  This gives you a bit better control at the bottom of the ramp.

hope this helps,

Jamie Gilchrist
Senior Principal Experience Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report