Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
garryson09
505 Views, 6 Replies

Simulation

Good Day. I want to know if there's a feature in Fusion 360 simulation to give a coating to the material other than its physical materials? i want to simulate a component with steel as a material and chromium as its coating

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnswetz1982
in reply to: garryson09

This is probably more of a design forum question, @seth.madore . Does it really matter? I wouldn't think that a material with a few molecules thick coating would behave any differently than the bulk material. 

Message 3 of 7
garryson09
in reply to: johnswetz1982

thank you. Yes, actually it matters. some coating like black oxide improve the corrosion resistance and fatigue life of a steel. Im planning to investigate this phenomenon using fusion 360

Message 4 of 7
John_Holtz

Hi @garryson09 . I agree with @johnswetz1982 . The answer is no.

• No, it is not practical to simulate a coating in the analysis. Even if you make a physical coating and give it some realistic thickness, the coating will either not mesh or will give wrong results because the mesh is super thin.
  • No, the coating has virtually no effect on the simulation (unless you are coating something that is the dimension of a spider web). 

I doubt that you are simulating the corrosion in Fusion, so the coating does not add any value to the simulation for corrosion. You are not simulating fatigue in Fusion, so the coating does not add any value for that. You might perform a static stress analysis and then use the stress results to do a hand calculation for the fatigue life, but the stress is not affected by the coating. The coating affects the life because it changes the endurance limit. That is part of the hand calculation; it is not related to the simulation.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 5 of 7
garryson09
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thank you so much sir for the reply, actually i'm about to do the coat using a physical solid with very thin dimension. But i think the meshing will not work because its super thin. Also, can you elaborate the portion where the coating will take effect in a spider web dimension? is there other way?

Message 6 of 7
John_Holtz

Hi @garryson09 

What I was trying to say is the coating will not affect the results of the stress analysis unless the thickness of the part is on the same order as the thickness of the coating. In other words, if the real part is the size of a spider web and you add a coating to it, then the coating will affect the stress analysis. If the real part is approximately 1 mm thick or thicker, then the coating will have no affect on the stress analysis.

You should perform the stress analysis on the part without the coating. Neither the thickness of the coating nor the material properties of the coating will have any effect on the stress analysis. The reason is there is nothing in the analysis that is a function of the surface finish, at least not to the molecular level that is involved. Any effects that are caused by the coating need to be included in the hand calculations that you do, using the stress results as the input to the hand calculations.

Try the analysis without the coating and let us know what you get.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 7 of 7
garryson09
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thank you so much sir! appreciate your help. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report