Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COMPONENT / PART NUMBERING AND NAMING

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
nick.emersonEQHQR
5851 Views, 9 Replies

COMPONENT / PART NUMBERING AND NAMING

Hi all, 

My components have an alphanumeric 'part' number that I assigned when I set them up. I'd also like to have a 'part' name that is real words and somewhat more descriptive. 

The problem is that if I change the properties of the component, these two entities are linked. I can't change one without changing the other. This means my BOM has two identical columns (wither a part number, or a name). 

Can anyone help? 

Thanks! 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

The Component Part Number is a property under your control, the Part Name is the file name of the part and becomes static once you save the file.  You can use the Description as a descriptive text field if you desire and it can be mapped to the BOM in the drawing.  Take a look at the Screencast.  So either you have mistakenly mixed up these to Model Properties with something else or I am not understanding your question.  If you need to clarify your question, it would help to create a Screencast of your own.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I think I’m not describing my issues clearly enough! I’m referring to the naming of individual components, rather than the overall design’s name. When i have a design with multiple components I give them a ‘name’ (alphanumerical) - in the component’s properties box there are two slots before the description box. One is ‘part name’ the other is ‘part number’. These are linked, AND propagate to the BOM, meaning if I include both properties in the BOM, I have two identical columns. I’d really like components that have an alphanumeric ‘number’ with a different, text-based name.
Is this possible?

Thanks

Nick E
Message 4 of 10

I do not see your issue.  Below is an Assembly screen capture with multiple components.  Each one has a unique Part Number and Part Name.  Below that is a screen capture of the BOM of the same assembly in the 2D drawing.  Both columns show the same unique values from the assembly component properties. If you cannot do this, you need to supply something to show what you cannot do.

Assy with Components.jpg

BOM of Assy.jpg

John Hackney, Retired
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10

Many thanks again for your response. I’m away from my desktop currently, but definitely cannot recreate what you have posted (or at least I couldn’t yesterday!). I’ll have a look in the morning and respond with a screen capture.

Out of interest, you BOM is capitalised, but mine propagates as lower case and I don’t know how to edit this - do you have any suggestions?

Sorry for the multiple questions and thanks again for your help.

Nick E
Message 6 of 10

@nick.emersonEQHQR wrote:
Out of interest, you BOM is capitalised, but mine propagates as lower case and I don’t know how to edit this - do you have any suggestions?

The BOM follows the Capitalization Rule: The first letter of each entry is automatically capitalized in the BOM.  So if you enter a Part Number of ag-234, the BOM will show Ag-234 by rule.  If I enter a Part Name of gearbox latch (two words) the BOM will show Gearbox latch.  I normally leave my keyboard Caps Lock on when I do CAD work as all entries should be capitalized on the drawing.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 7 of 10

Morning,

Sorry I really am terrible at explaining things. I meant to say your column titles and table headings are capitalised. Mine are not - do you know how to fix it?

Nick
Message 8 of 10

By default, the Parts List title and columns are defined by the application and as far as I know, cannot be edited except for the user selecting which columns to show.  You can design a personal table, in your drawing template, but that is a completely different animal.  You are using this following icon to create your Parts List?

Parts List Command.jpg

Up to this point, this conversation has been my doing "show and tell" with you.  You need to let me know what you are actually seeing by attaching some screen captures or a Screencast.  I really need to know what needs to be addressed.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 9 of 10

Morning John, 

In screencasting a response, I have located my issue. I was essentially conflating name and number and not appreciating the differences in the two.

I have 'named' my components using my preferred numbering system. This means the displayed 'name' in the component tree links to part name, whereas I was (foolishly) expecting it to link to part number. I now appreciate these are differing entities. I will need to change my processes to 'name' components using a name (seems obvious in retrospect), and then number them retrospectively in the properties box.

Thanks again for your help, funny how working through things slowly. can help you fix them. 

WRT the table, I'm actually using the table placeholder button as the table sits in an auto-populated set of sheets - it seems that this is indeed locked for editing by the software.  

Message 10 of 10

I assume you did not finish the Screencast, as it is not attached.  If you feel you have, or discovered, your solution please click the Accept Solution icon to close this forum topic.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report