Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't constrain a couple things

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
nuCreator
304 Views, 8 Replies

Can't constrain a couple things

And I'm stuck with very basic things again...

1. Created a line (marked with red), then created an offset. The offset wasn't long enough, so I added another line - marked with green. Added the collinear constraint between the offset line and my "finishing" line. Still have the unconstrained dot between these to lines and have no idea how to get rid of it:

fDot.jpg

I have a suspicion that my whole approach is wrong and it's possible to create the offset line long enough without need for my "extension" line, but can't find the way neither...

2. Created the arc, then created the offset and added the line connecting the arc/offset (marked in green). Now that short line and both dots on it unconstrained and I can't do anything about it:

fLine.jpg

Would greatly appreciate any hints how to deal with my problems.

Thanks !

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jhackney1972
in reply to: nuCreator

In your second sketch, you are missing a dimension showing the angle of the arc where the short line was sketched.  The other one you need to attach your model.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

Angle Location.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 9
nuCreator
in reply to: jhackney1972

@jhackney1972 wrote:

In your second sketch, you are missing a dimension showing the angle of the arc where the short line was sketched.

I suspected that, but could not figure out how to set that dimension. Now put a bit more effort and it worked, thank you !

@jhackney1972 wrote:

The other one you need to attach your model.

The model is attached...

Message 4 of 9
jhackney1972

Your first sketch is fully constrained in my book.  I do not see any point problem.

Fully Constrainted.jpgDot.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 9
nuCreator

The sketch icon doesn't have the lock sign, and the command is showing unconstrained point (the point itself is visible after the command):

Sketch.ShowUnderconstrained

Under constrained points: 1, under constrained curves: 0

Message 6 of 9
HughesTooling

I don't like the way you've tagged on to the the 2mm offset and this might be making it hard for the solver. If I redraw and add the extra constraint it solves correctly.

Here the offset plus 2 extra lines is replaced with just 2 lines.

HughesTooling_0-1716043089476.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
jhackney1972

What you had is adequate due to your methods of adding the lines to your offset.  I would be concerned about the lack of the lock symbol in the Browser, it will happen from time to time.  The main thing is to have a fully constrained sketch, which you had.  If yo want to do the sketch correctly to get the little lock symbol, follow the video.  Model is attached.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 8 of 9
HughesTooling

I can get your original sketch to show fully constrained if I add this line. It should not be needed but there is a restriction with offset where the offset curves can not drive the source curves and I think you are getting close to this with the extra lines you've added. Best advice is keep your sketches as simple as possible not just for the solver but also for you to debug.

HughesTooling_0-1716044313270.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
nuCreator

OK, Mark showed how to fully constrain my wrong design :), but John pointed me to something I really needed (but didn't know that 🙂 - "Extend" command ! As I mentioned originally, I suspected there is much better way to achieve my goal, and in this case it was this command that I totally forgot about (it's my second week of working with Fusion :)...

Thanks everyone, really amazing community !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report