Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug ? - Spline/Sketch problem

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
TrippyLighting
433 Views, 3 Replies

Bug ? - Spline/Sketch problem

I am trying to create a sketch on a construction plane, but somehow Fusion 360 is fighting back and at the moment it's winning 😕

the intention is to blend the bottom surface of the bin into the wall surface.

My approach is to create a sketch that then can be priojected onto that surface and then i'd create a loft between the bottom pin brofile and the projected sketch profile.

It is too much to explain  in written form, so here is a screencast that better explains what I am trying to do.

If there are better ways to achieve this I am open to suggestions!

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 12.55.03 PM.png

EESignature

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I won the fight, but it was a brutally hard battle 😉

Still not 100 % but I'll enjoy the victory for a moment.

I am no surfacing expert but I believe this would be much easier if we could sketch on curved surfaces and would not be limited to skething on planes. Fusion seems very finicky in times.

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 2.07.56 PM.png

EESignature

Message 3 of 4

Could you upload part or all of the design, if you don't want to share all of the part can you export just the end without the part you were trying to build on the inside.

Mark.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4

That is one of the problems with that particular part. It started as a generated mesh in Blender with 19k+ quad faces. Once imported into Fusion and converted into a T-Spline the file becomes huge. Its ove 90MB in size, takes 5 minutes to load (60Mbit down, 5Mbit up cable modem ) and 5 minutes to save. The T-Spline is so large that it's not editable, at least not on my machine.

The reason it started in Blender is because Blender has a number of tools e.g. the modifier stack that makes certain things easy that are impossible in Fusion 360. However, Fusion makes it much easier to add mechanical features such as these pins that are there to locate and hold a PCB. At the time I am adding these lofts its long converted a solid model by means of several Combine operations.

As such, sharing the thing is not easy.

I believe thhe behavior is not really a bug, Fusion 360 is just a little finicky and perhaps, I was attempting one shortcut to many. What I've doone now is relly not that different from the first approach, I simply made sure that my references for the construction planes that hold the loft and rail pofiles were not referenced of some point on the former T-Spline but off of clean solid geometry and sketches. 

When done I simply combined the new loft body with the main body. 

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report