Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better modeling viewport rendering

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
maruska
1350 Views, 12 Replies

Better modeling viewport rendering

I recently stumbled on this post. It gets at an issue that has bugged me for a while. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/appearance-question/td-p/10551699

Fusion 360's modeling viewport is a pretty capable realtime renderer, but the way it's been executed results in models that are dull and beige. I like to be able to take quick screen shots of models to share with clients. Not a full ray-traced renderings;  just work-in-progress, or something to sketch over.

I was also involved in the development of the IBL (image-based-lighting) workflow of Alias's viewport several years ago - so I figured I would dig into Fusion's underpinnings and see what's up.

I knew that these directories existed and had played with modifying the files, but had mixed results - until by accident I figured out how they work. On the Mac (I'll follow-up with PC instructions at some point when I get my hands on a windows machine), you can dig into the Fusion app directory like so:

/Users/$HOME/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/webdeploy/production/cdedd4b05efae2d277df7be3d315d4ccce03a01d/Autodesk Fusion 360.app/Contents/Libraries/Neutron/Neutron/Server/Scene/Resources/Environments

In that Environments directory are the sub-directories that hold all the assets for the viewport environments. Here is what the Dark Sky environment looks like:

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 12.17.58 PM.png

The EXR file is the main reflection map. Just modifying it will change the look of 100% glossy surfaces, but nothing else. I knew updating the .dds files were the trick for updating the look of non-glossy surfaces (any material with a roughness greater than zero). Any attempt I made to bring the .dds files into an image editor yielded poor results, if any. Then by accident I discovered that Fusion generates the .dds files from the EXR at runtime - so just deleting the .dds files after you update the EXR allows you to easily update the image based lighting. So you can find an HDRI image you like, name it accordingly (DarkSky-Reflection-dwab.exr for instance). delete the .dds files, run Fusion and everything updates at launch.

The XML file has a line of code at allows you the change the brightness of the HDRI image after the fact, tuning the look/exposure of the reflection maps; with zero being no adjustment.

<ToneMapping ExposureBase="0" />

Lastly, here are some examples of my new viewports before and after...

Dark Sky BeforeDark Sky BeforeDark Sky AfterDark Sky AfterGrey Room BeforeGrey Room BeforeGrey Room AfterGrey Room AfterInfinity Pool BeforeInfinity Pool BeforeInfinity Pool AfterInfinity Pool AfterPhoto Booth BeforePhoto Booth BeforePhoto Booth AfterPhoto Booth AfterTranquility Blue BeforeTranquility Blue BeforeTranquility Blue AfterTranquility Blue After

For me, I wanted viewport rendering that was both higher contrast and properly white balanced, with exposure adjustments that ensured "white" looks white (but not too white, or specular highlights won't show up). But with the ability to tweak at will, you can get the look you are after fairly easily. 

Not sure what warranties this voids, or how Autodesk would respond to encouraging modifying the software. I also don't know what happens when an update is pushed. I'll keep a back-up of my new IBL's for sure. Happy tweaking...

J.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
TrippyLighting
in reply to: maruska

Very cool stuff!

The only downside I see is that you'll have to re-do this every time a new Fusion 360 update is installed.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
maruska

Here is the path to the environment files on a PC:

C:\Users\$HOME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production\2719e3c6bed8896e3c7319fbb8bfbceff8f489a4\Neutron\Server\Scene\Resources\Environments

Keep in mind that on both the Mac and PC version, that hashed folder name (i.e. 2719e3c6bed8896e3c7319fbb8bfbceff8f489a4) changes with each version and deployment, so per @TrippyLighting suggestion, you'll need to do some hunting when Fusion 360 updates.  YMMV...

Message 4 of 13
maruska

@TrippyLighting Yes - I don't expect many people will do this, but I did want to illustrate that it can be done, and without too much effort; if for no other reason than to catch the Fusion 360 team's eye and show a path forward to solving an issue that another user raised... and that has bugged me for a while.

Message 5 of 13
TrippyLighting

@maruska wrote:

@TrippyLighting Yes - I don't expect many people will do this, 

I don't believe that either, but it still is really cool. Thanks for sharing and for the effort!

My guess is that this is more interesting to those that do game modeling or/and industrial design.

Can you share where the HDRI's you used can be found?

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
maruska
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Yup - Industrial Designer here, so presentation is important.

As for HDRI sources. https://hdrmaps.com and https://polyhaven.com/hdris are both good places to start - the latter being free.

For the ones I showed above, they are a combination of reworking the existing Fusion 360** images, or making my own (either painted in Photoshop, or rendered out of KeyShot using their "light pins" tools and a background image).

I like my HDR images to be a bit cartoony since I'm typically doing surface valuation. For instance, for my Infinity Pool reflection map, I mimicked the old Alias "double horizon", but less purple and black - ha.

I'd repost, but since many are derived art from published software, I'm not sure if that would be frowned upon.

** Alias uses some of the same HDR images as Fusion, but are often crisper and/or higher resolution so I used them when available.

Message 7 of 13
jeff_strater

@maruska - I have passed this post on to our graphics/rendering team.  It does seem that your results are an improvement visually, and hopefully these suggestions can be incorporated into the product itself.  Thank you for taking the time to figure this out!

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 8 of 13
maruska

@jeff_strater Excellent! Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I'm happy to share my source files directly if your team wants them.

As mentioned my (personal) priorities for a CAD viewport are: white balance and accurate color rendering, contrast, surface evaluation, and (as a stretch goal) customizability.

Message 9 of 13
maruska

@TrippyLighting The scene mods didn't survive last night's update, but a quick overwrite of folders from my back-up restored all my tricks...

Message 10 of 13
david.quayle

Good work, now I'm wondering why Fusion doesn't follow your lead?

Message 11 of 13

@david.quayle wrote:

Good work, now I'm wondering why Fusion doesn't follow your lead?

If you go back 3 or 4 posts, please read what Jeff Strater wrote.

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
gooch12013

I as well take quick screenshots all the time. This would be a great update to do. 

Message 13 of 13
maruska
in reply to: jeff_strater

did anything ever become of this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report