Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appearance Question

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
david.quayle
693 Views, 10 Replies

Appearance Question

When I apply a White Paint/Powdercoat etc finish to any surface it doesn't look white, it's more a boring Light Gray colour. Is it possible to get something that actually looks White?

For instance, in the screenshot below the wall shown on the right side of the image is supposed to be White! Where if you look at the left side of the image you can see the White of the Fusion Web Forum page that actually looks White.

I have tried lots of different appoaches?

Colour Issue.JPG

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
John_Wright
in reply to: david.quayle

Is this in the "render" or "design" workspace of Fusion?

I've found that a lot of the appearance of a material is geared up for rendering rather than how it looks in the Design workspace, but you do have to play about with the scene that you are rendering in. 

If you are in the Design workspace you can try different environment to see if that improves things.

John_Wright_0-1629202494767.png

Whilst harsh on the eyes, "photobooth" seems to yield the most accurate materials. 

Message 3 of 11
g-andresen

Hi,

Go into render mode as @John_Wright  recommended and test it with adjusted light settings.

günther

Message 4 of 11
david.quayle

Thank you for the responses I will give it a go,.

Message 5 of 11
david.quayle

I tried the different Enviroments and had a look in Render but nothing really does what I'd like. You can see in the image below where I am in the Photobooth Enviroment the walls are supposed to be white just like the screen area to the left. Anyway it's a nice to have I can live without it.

Thanks again

Colour.JPG

Message 6 of 11

TheCADWhisperer_0-1629372541171.png

Message 7 of 11

@david.quayle based on your responses I am still not exactly sure what you are looking for. But I will focus my answer on a rendered/raytraced result. The 3D viewport in the "design" workspace does not show materials in their final illuminated and rendered state, that is not it's purpose and changing the environment to "photobooth" is only marginally helpful.

The 3D Viewport in the "Render" environment is only a strongly simplified pre-visualization of what the rendered raytraced result might look like.

The purpose of the appearances in Fusion 360 is solely to provide somewhat physically accurate materials in a final rendered, raytraced image. To achieve a more white appearance it is important to understand the physics of light and how diffuse and specular reflectivity of an object interact with the color of the surrounding  geometry and with the color of the light source.

If you want a white backdrop you should use a very white, diffuse reflecting material AND an white light source.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
maruska

@david.quayle If you are referring to the "white balance" of the default modeling window lighting - then, yes, it is horribly beige. I haven't found a good way of getting clean neutral materials in the viewport, and Photo Booth seems particularly bad. My solution is to color correct my materials and add a bit of emissivity to them to "brighten" the image.

Keep in mind, if you then "render" these materials in the Fusion Renderer, then things will look a bit blue and like they are glowing/emitting light. But if you just want good screen shots, then this seems to be your best bet. It's tricker to take the yellow cast out of metallic materials, and emissivity messes with the reflections.

I would love the option to use my own HDR images in the modeling workspace.Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 5.01.30 PM.png

Message 9 of 11

Your a genious thank you

Message 10 of 11
david.quayle

Thank you all for your relies.

Message 11 of 11
maruska

@david.quayle you inspired me to pick up an old hacking quest. If you are interested in why things look the way they do, here is a deeper explanation and a way to fix it (if you are ok with monkeying around under the hood so to speak)...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/better-modeling-viewport-rendering/td-p/10...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report