Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animate Planetary Gears with Driven Sun and Ring

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
fmwo1
286 Views, 6 Replies

Animate Planetary Gears with Driven Sun and Ring

Hello,

I am trying to animate a planetary gear set, where the output is the rotation of the carrier and the rotation of the planets. Both the ring and sun can be driven, but they may not always be driven, nor always in the name direction.

The ring gear has 36 teeth, and both the sun and planet gears have 12 teeth. I've placed a joint from the ring gear to a bearing outside of it, a joint from the sun to a bearing inside of it, a joint from the planet gear to the carrier, and a joint from the carrier to the bearing in the center, the same one as the sun. Here is the link, it should be able to be downloaded:
https://a360.co/3sJ2zhk

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: fmwo1

Here is the model with the motions I think you want.  There is one problem I cannot seem to figure out right away, the ratio of Motion Link 21.  I agree the toot mesh is off but that is easy to fix is I could figure out Motion 21 ratio.  I will give it to you so maybe you can come up with it.   Model attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7
davebYYPCU
in reply to: jhackney1972

Suppress the Carrier Joint, Roll timeline back to here, 

pntgrdb.PNG

3 moving components 2 Motion links, the ratios were correct as arrived.

Carrier should be attached to chassis (Grounded), Sun gear is driving (axle), Ring gear is wheel.

but the op wants the output as Carrier, so what is the input, and what is grounded?

Edit:  I have made a stationary Sun, and stationary Ring versions if interested.

Might help.....

Message 4 of 7
fmwo1

Thanks so much for the help, unfortunately this is only half of the motions I'm trying to achieve. What you animated is when the ring and sun spin in opposite directions and the carrier stays still but the planet spins, but I am also trying to make it so when the ring and sun are animated in the same direction the carrier rotates but the planet doesn't spin. I've written what I hope is a clearer explanation of what the mechanism is supposed to do:

The input is both the rotation of the ring, and the rotation of the sun. The idea behind the mechanism I'm trying to create is that when both the ring and the sun are rotated in the same direction the carrier rotates with the combined torque of the two motors driving them, while the planet is still. Additionally when the ring and sun are driven in opposite directions, the carrier is still but the planet gears rotate with the full torque of both of the motors. This is intended to be the base of a 3 DoF robotic arm, where all of the motors will be still, with the last degree of freedom being from a double universal joint going through the center gear, but thats unimportant.

Message 5 of 7
davebYYPCU

I have read this statement so many times my screensaver kicked me out.

The idea behind the mechanism I'm trying to create is that when both the ring and the sun are rotated in the same direction the carrier rotates with the combined torque of the two motors driving them, while the planet is still.  That’s just a spoke of a wheel, both input same RPM.

Additionally when the ring and sun are driven in opposite directions, the carrier is still but the planet gears rotate with the full torque of both of the motors.

Conventional set up, carrier is stationary, is not carrier is output,

Planetary could be output.

Both statements together, you got a video?

Message 6 of 7
fmwo1
in reply to: davebYYPCU

This is correct, I'm just quite a newbie and I don't know what the correct way to set this up is. In particular, how should I make it switch between the two setups? Or is that what it should do? Thanks so much for the help.

Message 7 of 7
davebYYPCU

Well I was thinking you were trying to get this into Fusion, - “it’s been done before I just need the model or model it myself.”

I made both systems work, but not in the same file.  To get all that working you need more parts.

Fusion did not like conflicting Motion Links, so I think you have to do it in Animation environment.

With more parts added to the system, I think you will get a drive shaft with 2 universals to be the output.  I don’t use Animation in Fusion, but you would have a 2 stage gearbox, and have to be changing gears, somehow.  Would give you 

Sun gear and output shaft 1:1 same direction same speed or 

Planetary gear and output shaft, 1:1 planetary speed same direction, and

if Ring gear drive Planetary it’s 1:3 ratio.

So what part are you stuck on?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report