Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do you make us to rewrite the parts name when we export STL files?

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
kdh4287
2899 Views, 43 Replies

Why do you make us to rewrite the parts name when we export STL files?

(Sorry, My English has been lusted.)

Today, I got a new update for Fusion 360.

When I design parts, every parts has individual name so that I can distinguish easily.

Before this update, Exporting STL file give same parts name automatically, but now I have to rewrite the file names everything.

I don't understand this regression.

Could you rollback this update or change it in a future?

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
g-andresen
in reply to: kdh4287

Hi,

I hope that this is not intended and will be changed soon.

@Phil.E  do you know it?

günther

Message 3 of 44
Phil.E
in reply to: g-andresen

I can replicate the issue. It looks like we added the "Fusion" dialog box to replace the system dialog box and this is hopefully an unintended consequence. Logged as FUS-126545.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 44
g-andresen
in reply to: Phil.E

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick reply.

günther

Message 5 of 44
Galaktican

I am fine with the version #.  I like that.  But, I would prefer the filename would start with the Body name and not the Title if that makes sense.

Message 6 of 44
Phil.E
in reply to: Galaktican

Yes the intended behavior is for the dialog box to use the body or component name in the new export dialog box.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 44
Galaktican

Or, better yet, give us the ability to customize how WE want the filename configured in the preferences.

{projectname}_{bodyname}_{versionnumber}

Message 8 of 44
t_lamourine

Notice this issue also. The new box isn't any value to me personally, kinda preferred the systems dialog box better. certainly don't need the "team" section as the only reason I have or are in a "team" is because Autodesk forced it in some other past update. it's just me, no team, don't need a team. guessing the whole team thing is why they implemented this window?  

Message 9 of 44
Phil.E
in reply to: t_lamourine

The system dialog box was replaced by a Fusion 360 dialog box. That is the only difference.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 44
JeromeBriot

@Galaktican wrote:

Or, better yet, give us the ability to customize how WE want the filename configured in the preferences.

{projectname}_{bodyname}_{versionnumber}

The 3D Print Plus add-in supports this feature : https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=2942207745179825936

Message 11 of 44
Galaktican

While we are on the subject of the new Save As dialog box can the developers please, extend the number of characters in the "Save to my computer" folder box?  It appears this was rushed.  Look at how big the folder box is and how its limited by what looks like 21 characters.  I'm forced to click on the 3dot icon to actually see the entire structure of the folder its going to save to.  This new Save As dialog box is NOT saving me time or clicks, but, adding to my frustrations.

Save As Dialog box.jpg

Message 12 of 44
eric.zwirnmann

In addition, we used to be able to reselect an existing file, which would then prompt for "Do you want to replace it?".

Message 13 of 44
Phil.E
in reply to: eric.zwirnmann

That is not gone.

If you name a file the same, Fusion will ask you if you want to replace it.

PhilE_1-1681167836393.png

If you browse to a local folder, select a file, and try to save, the operating system asks you if you want to replace it.

PhilE_2-1681167930129.png

PhilE_0-1681167793239.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 44
Phil.E

Great suggestion. I tested this and found this result: (space for appx. 70 more characters available)

Logged as FUS-126960

PhilE_0-1681168337107.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 44
valsua

I hate new box to save body mesh with the name of project. It makes me waste time and make confusion with similar names. Please come back to the old saving box using the name of the body. The actual system is a demostration of how to complicate simple things through the useless. Every time I have to copy the name of the body and paste in the stupid box instead of the name of the project or manually digit the name.

Message 16 of 44
tenseisales

Yes I agree with the annoyance of this "upgrade" the vast majority of my work is one fusion file with many bodies with different names and it defaulting to the fusion file name and version is bad enough, but this new "export" fusion dialog for everything is not a improvement at all.  Please let us revert or choose how we save things and fix the naming issue.

Message 17 of 44
evilc

Correct, but now it asks you TWICE if you want to overwrite.

The standard windows file picker asks you, then when you return to the Fusion dialog box, it asks you again.

Message 18 of 44
valsua
in reply to: evilc

Yes... another useless passage which wasn't present in the old efficient interface! WHY change something that works well with something worse? Someone love this "new" interface?
Message 19 of 44
Phil.E
in reply to: valsua

Hi, thanks for the comment. You might have missed it earlier in the thread but, the intended behavior is to use the body or component name in the new export dialog box, just like before. This didn't happen, but we are going to work on it. Logged as FUS-126545. This is a bug report that is intended to get this addressed soon.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 44
Phil.E
in reply to: evilc

Please check out this video. I don't count any new clicks, but I may be using a different workflow than you. If you see something different, please provide a video so I can explain it to developers and ask for improvements based on your experience.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report