Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rectangular pattern won't align hexagons

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
666 Views, 23 Replies

Rectangular pattern won't align hexagons

Hi Support,

Fusion will not align a hexagon of 7.1mm side length when doing a rectangular pattern, for either in sketch or body.  If I change the side length to 7.101 it aligns correctly and objects can be combined.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
g-andresen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

follow @TheCADWhisperer  and define a different length

Screencast

günther

Message 22 of 24

@TrippyLighting wrote:

What do you see when opening the file I had attached ?

If you had used "all digits" when copying the measured value you'd see the same result and there's no problem.

3 digits accuracy is OK for manufacturing purposes, but in this case you'll have to adhere to the precision the CAD system requires to operate properly. 

A note on this:  We recently fixed a bug (not released externally yet) in the measure capability within a command.  As @TrippyLighting pointed out, today, that measurement is limited by the setting you have in the Measure command.  The bug fix was to not apply that truncation when doing the implicit measure from the "three dot" measure in an entry field. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.01.05 AM.png

Now, you will get the full accuracy of the distance between the objects.

However, and I cannot say this strongly enough, using Measure here will not fix the underlying parametric problem.  Measure is still a constant value, and will not update when you change the side length of the hexagon.  You would have to edit the pattern and re-measure the distance each time you change the side length.  Using the formula here or changing how you specify the hexagon length will make the sketch fully parametric.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 23 of 24
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you saying its a rounding error due to 3 decimal point spacing?

No, it's an error by the designer!

As evidenced by using a mathematical formula to calculate the needed distance precisely, the design/sketch works just fine.

EESignature

Message 24 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Thank you all who responded.  I now understand parametric evaluation is required for correct spacing.

Since Fusion evaluates this for you using the "non-optimal" measure approach, I just assumed that it carries full precision, even though it displays 3 decimal places.  I see full precision preserved for linear dimensions on hover, even though it displays less.

I also acknowledge that this "issue" has been fixed and waiting release.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report