Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Frame Generator

Fusion 360 Frame Generator

I really loved the frame generator in inventor i always use then in making structural frames and now i am using Fusion 360 its time consuming making every profile sketch of each frame member. So having said that i really loved the frame generator to be integrated in fusion 360 thanks,

85 Comments
marc.a.grossman
Enthusiast

Honestly, it sounds like it's not coming anytime within the next year. It's a real shame. There is however a great iphone app which I've pretty much never used that is probably consuming tons of resources at adsk.

stuartwood9999
Contributor
Hi.
That's a shame but thanks for the reply...this iphone app sounds interesting, we shall wait and see.
esa.ristimaeki
Observer

@matthew.nicholsCould you give any specific information about this?

carrS4T3J
Community Visitor

@matthew.nichols can you give any information of the development of this feature? I am a solidworks user, and I just downloaded Fusion 360 for the first time. I'm very disappointed to see that there is not a feature similar to the solidworks weldment feature. It seems like a very basic feature. Not having a feature like this really restricts the usefulness of the software. 

clovegrove
Contributor

How can I get hold of a beta version of the Frame Generator? I teach Mechanical Engineering and we all use Fusion 360. Having this as an add in will be like the icing on the cake. Keep up with good work like this. 

Cheers

Christopher

matthew.nichols
Autodesk

@clovegrove

I can send it to you tomorrow.  Send me an email to matthew.nichols@autodesk.com

Remember, the version I send is not one I am working on anymore.  Although I might pick it back up for basic functionality or what have you.

clovegrove
Contributor
How is it Matthew?

My e mail is

clovegrove@unitec.ac.nz

Thanks for all your effort.

Cheers
simonllachance
Explorer

I completely agree. Most of my projet need a frame that can be adjusted quickly as the design evolve. I've been trying Fusion for almost 6 months now. Although I love all features like editing features, model sharing, work flow... I don't think I get to be more efficient. So I think about going back to using an hybrid of autocad 3d and inventor. I also find the 3d sketch to be somehow rudimentary... I really wish some day to find a software that combines autocad quick design hability and inventor ease of adaptation. And to me this start with a frame generator in Fusion!! How do you do your frames and weldelment with fusion and can you ajust your design on the go??

clovegrove
Contributor

A big thank you Matthew!

Have got the Frame Generator up and running. Pretty simple to use. The selection of sections needs to be expanded, or a way of importing your own Fusion 360 sketches looked into. 

When ever you get back onto this Matthew, please let me know as this is a game changer for Mechanical engineers.

Thanks again for all your work in developing Frame Generator.

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 11.57.20 AM.png

Cheers

simonllachance
Explorer
I seriously what to try that!
matthew.nichols
Autodesk

@clovegrove

Thank you for your post with the pic!  That is really cool seeing the addin in use!

jacob.fenwick
Explorer

@matthew.nichols Any chance you're picking Frame Generator back up?

I have to CAD out a lot of weldments and I'd prefer to go back to using Fusion if I could, but the pipe tool just isn't cutting it.

Glad you're trying to get something together.

ghamilton64PXT
Observer

This is a game changer for machine builders.  I am sending an email and would love to play with a couple of models.

chadbromwich
Participant

@

mitchEFUMS
Participant

@matthew.nichols - I thought I might quickly chime in here to say the lack of weldment feature in Fusion is really the only thing that Fusion is lacking. With weldments added, I think there are quite a few people that could transfer from Solidworks. (As many others above have noted.)

One other thing to note - having used Solidworks weldments and Inventor's Frame Generator, I find Inventor much more complicated / harder to use. So if Fusion was to get this functionality, it would be good to take a real close look at the Solidworks work flow.

hhp.dk
Explorer

Frame Generator!! 🙂 I like, I like, I like.

When is it in Fusion 360? 

dm-clark4528
Observer
There are many enthusiasts interested in seeing a frame generator come to fusion 360 but nobody at Autodesk is currently working on it. There was an individual who wrote a beta version but it never went any further, he just didn't have the time to develope it on his own. Sorry man, I share your pain.

DMC
30068LYU6J
Community Visitor

@matthew.nichols could you release the beta version? So even if you dont pick it up again we could use it on our own and make our own changes.

Thanks

mail
Participant

@matthew.nichols would be Awesome if you could realease the beta. Im sure that a lot of people use and need it and give there comments and ideas to get i done best. A frame generator is a absolut "must have" tool for mechanical engineering and will save plenty of time. Please push developing this tool !

regards from Germany

matthew.nichols
Autodesk

hey Everyone, 

i know it has been a while over due for an update, but I think everyone will be happy to see the progress of my addin.  the link below will take you to a youtube video of the latest build of my addin.  https://youtu.be/ohPvPDv9HJs

@dm-clark4528 @ghamilton64PXT

@mail @30068LYU6J @mitchEFUMS

@clovegrove @jacob.fenwick @marc.a.grossman

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report