Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transformer and motor winding coils

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Filip_Kollar
2386 Views, 8 Replies

Transformer and motor winding coils

Hello everybody,

I've been trying for some time creating a motor winding or transformer coil, but I was not able to make it as I wanted.

For example, I know how to create a coil around a nice torus but transformers usually don't use this shape but rather rectangular core profile around which it is harder to create winding.

https://youtu.be/r6TCSsdD3hA

https://www.globalspec.com/ImageRepository/LearnMore/201211/tra_toroidal563e2a83a7d44f81a9a3627b63a8...

A motor winding example which I would like to know how to recreate

Motor Coils.PNG

I have this transformer which I want to model inside a Fusion.

67412801_1198588713671805_8449394861118849024_n.jpg

This is the result.

Bad toroid.PNG

cut.PNG

I would appreciate any interesting ideas on this topic Smiley Wink

Thank you in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
KKizildemir
in reply to: Filip_Kollar

Hi @Filip_Kollar 

Are you looking for just a visual solution? If yes, please draw a rectangular profile around the section of your transformer's core. Then make a solid body by sweeping this profile.

I've modelled a part for you. Please find it attached. 

Signature

website
emailskypelinkedinyoutubeemail
Message 3 of 9
Filip_Kollar
in reply to: KKizildemir

Sure, this is one good solution to make it just look like a transformer, but any ideas on how to make it real? Also, the spacing between windings is too big or they will start to overlap with each other.

visual.PNG

Message 4 of 9
KKizildemir

@Filip_Kollar 

Adding new, longer path of sweep on the plane which has a small angle with the previous sweep feature's plane could make this OK. Please see the doc attached.

Signature

website
Message 5 of 9
Filip_Kollar
in reply to: KKizildemir

Ok, that good enough I think 🙂 Thank you for help, also one tip from me, as I saw in your history, you can just use pipe command instead of making construction plane, sketching pipe shape... it is much faster in this case I think.

Transformator.PNG

Message 6 of 9
KKizildemir

Oh, Thanks for your feedback!

Have a nice day!

Signature

website
Message 7 of 9

@Filip_Kollar  Here's an example using a similar method to the youtube link in your first post. Not sure you'll be able to use it to create a fine pitch coil but might be useful for you. The idea of trimming the patch coil could also be used for the rectangular coils on the motor in your first post as well. I set up a few sketches before the screencast, file's attached.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 9

That intercept was a very interesting way of creating that and yes, I think that this can be used to create real coil windings, but the main problem, in this case, is performance, in my case I used 360° x 200 and fusion was in "not responding" state for a few minutes even on my i7 8086k with GTX 1060 😕

Thank you very much and have a nice day Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9

@Filip_Kollar wrote:

...Also, the spacing between windings is too big or they will start to overlap with each other ...

Correct! If you look at a real toroidal transformer you'll see that often the dissection is not perfectly rectangular but thicker in the middle.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report