Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern on complex path

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
DanGriffinSTA8Y
877 Views, 14 Replies

Pattern on complex path

The image below is a sketch of simple lines with good intersections.  I have been able to use Pattern on Path for each line individually but is there a way to create a pattern along every line in one operation?

Celtic Pattern.png

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Create a path for the full length... 

Message 3 of 15

I was afraid that was the only answer...

Message 4 of 15

What kind of pattern would you want to create and what is the final look you are looking for ?

EESignature

Message 5 of 15

The lines will be populated with small spikes creating a Celtic knot pattern to be applied to leather for tooling.  (to be 3D Printed)

Below is my first attempt using a bevel edge which didn't work very well.  The leather patterns that you buy use lines of pips to create the pattern.  This model took WAY to long to create the edges.  I really don't want to go through that again.

When the "body" of the pattern is created using EXTRUDE the cross lines delineating the "cords" going under and over each other are lost (as you can see) which causes problems, so I am attempting to make the spikes first and add the body last.

Celtic Belt End Pattern.png

Message 6 of 15

Spikes, or more or a continuous sharp edge that will be pressed into the leather. Either way, if you can share the model I'l see what I can do.

EESignature

Message 7 of 15

Sure.  What format would you like?

f3d

iges

sat

smt

step

Message 8 of 15

Since there is no attachment option, I guess this is the way you do it (?)

https://a360.co/2QtcZJt

Message 9 of 15

Yes, the download link also works.

So do you mean a sharp edge such as in the image, or do you mean more pyramidal spikes ?

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 10.00.15 PM.png

EESignature

Message 10 of 15

Pyramidal spikes, the sharp edges didn't transfer the pattern very well.  Too much surface area I believe.

The lines are the center-lines of the pattern to be transferred to the leather.  About 2mm high and wide with a little spacing.  Then I was going to put a 5mm backing plate under them.  (I was constructing it in the spikes up orientation although it is to be used in the spikes down orientation of course.)

Please note that there are lines in the 2D drawing that indicate where the straps of the Celtic knot go over and under each other.  An important part of the design which was lost in my first attempt (the 3D image I first posted).  And, since this is only a portion of the total length of the pattern, to be chained one after the other, there are a few lines in the 2D drawing that need to be "left out" of the final 3D model.  So, I need to know how this is done, and/or, be able to delete some of the spikes in these areas to end up with an appropriate pattern.  (actually, this is the "end pattern".  I need to make a second one, almost identical, that is the "chaining pattern")

FYI: This is for a guitar strap for my grandson, for Christmas, who has just taken up the guitar.  And this particular pattern isn't available for leather tooling from the usual suppliers.  So I'm having to make one.  Needless to say, your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dan Griffin

Message 11 of 15

Just so you know, I've not forgotten about this. 

The problem in your design starts with your sketch, which has a number of overlapping lines. It also is not properly constrained, which would make getting to your desired result very difficult.

The pattern has many symmetries and it was not trivial to come up with a sketch that is fully parametric so this can be patterned.

This is the base sketch which is driven by user parameters:

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 3.24.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 3.27.40 PM.png

More later. 

EESignature

Message 12 of 15

I appreciate your time and trouble.  Your last post alone was an eye opener.  Fusion is a powerful tool, and as such has to be used with respect.  Not unlike Photoshop CS.  Which brings me to the crux of the situation.  Just as you wouldn't use an Haas VF3SS to spin yarn, I have found that for my menial needs in this case Sketchup is a better tool for the task.

Thanks again,

Dan Griffin

Celtic Pattern Run.png

Message 13 of 15

Very cool! 

Please post the end results.

EESignature

Message 14 of 15

20181222_190157.jpg

Thanks again.

Message 15 of 15

Beautiful work!

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report