Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make a component smaller?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1468 Views, 2 Replies

How do I make a component smaller?

I brought in a component that is 10mm too long, but I can't seem to figure out how to reduce the size of it. If I extrude it then I can make it longer, but attempting to extrude it to make it shorter just creates a new body or component on top of the existing component, and deleting the new component reveals the original body or component that was hidden beneath.

What operation will reduce the size of the component I imported? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
etfrench
in reply to: Anonymous

Extrude|Cut.

Note: The component should be the active component when using the Extrude command except when the Cut operation is used.

p.s. If the component is linked, you'll need to break the link first.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
jeff_strater
in reply to: etfrench

@Anonymous - in addition to what @etfrench suggests, you may have to open the component in a separate tab.  When you said you "inserted" a component, was this an external component?  Is there a little link symbol in the browser?  If so, then that is a "linked component".  You cannot edit a linked component in the top-level design.  Instead, open this component in a separate tab, and you should be able to Extrude/Cut it to whatever size you want.

Another alternative is to select the linked component, right click, and choose "Break Link".  This will convert the component into a local component, which can be edited in the top-level design.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report