Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lofting from intersecting edges

41 REPLIES 41
SOLVED
Message 1 of 42
GeneralFault
8424 Views, 41 Replies

Lofting from intersecting edges

I am using the latest version of Fusion 360 to try to create a wingtip that has a fairly organic shape. I have been attempting various lofting methods with no success. As the wingtip has multiple complex curves, The profiles are at right angles, and there are two intersecting edges.  Honestly as a beginner, I'm not certain that I am even taking the correct approach at this shape, and I could really use some guidance.

41 REPLIES 41
Message 41 of 42
davebYYPCU
in reply to: cferguson4DPQJ

Not your planes, was the geometry as you presented it to me, I have the (2) Lofts in solid, with 4 profiles and three rails as you supplied them, unless noted below, 

You have not sketched accurately enough for Loft, which is so finicky. 

I had to replace the top wing section curve, to be Tangential Arcs, that meant the 32mm dimension is gone, but the arcs were / are snapped to the verticals.

Check the wing to tip joint for any discrepancy, you may have to use this new tip rib for the wing.

I had to break the leading edge curve, at the chord line, for a top and bottom independent rail, your method was ok but Loft needs them independent.

I had to make the nose area of both of the tip profiles, to connect to the tip rail, with Project > Intersect. Yours are not connected, 

Loft needs these purple points, to make coincident intersections between rails and profiles, close enough won't work. 

The Loft command did not like the combined Loft of TE, hinge , spar, then LE profiles in one Loft, with "Not smooth error"

So I made the first loft from Trailing Edge to Spar, looks good happy with the result.

I had to make the second Loft to get any result at all, and due to the straight section of the tip rail is causing distortion, hide the wing body to see the distortion overlapping into the wing, 

can be cut off, but for me the whole area needs some more profiles to be inserted in the second loft to make a more satisfying front tip shape.

Happy to help, 

you may have more questions, so I would get you to start a new topic, so that the original section here remains solved.

File is attached

.tipdistort2.PNGtipdistort.PNG

Message 42 of 42
davebYYPCU
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Obviously you have been posting while I was in Fusion, not checked the new stuff, 

review my file, see if we are on the same page....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report