Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flip Normals

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
polygrinder
7883 Views, 7 Replies

Flip Normals

How can I flip the normals on an object?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
prabakarm
in reply to: polygrinder

Can you help us understand for objects you are trying to flip normals?  Is there a problem you are trying to solve by flipping normals.  

Thanks,

Prabakar.

Message 3 of 8
polygrinder

Thank you for the reply. I created a T-Spline form. However, the normals are on the inside of the piece and I want them on the outside.

Message 4 of 8
karyeka

There is a command called "reverse normal" in the Patch workspace under Modify stack. This will flip the surface. However, this command is not available in the timeline document (parameteric env) yet. Its available only in Direct Modeling env right now. To conver to direct modeling env we use the "do not capture history" option at the bottom right corner or right mouse menu for topmost component (which is called root component). Unfortunately this means losing all the history and timeline. 

F360_convert_to_DM_1.png

F360_convert_to_DM_2.png

F360_reverse_normal.png

When we hit "Finish Form" it converts the T-Spline body to Brep surface. Ideally, in this case, I would use the explicit "convert" command in the T-Spline toolset before finishing form. The convert command has a option to flip normal, however its not flipping the surface, this is a bug. We will work on it.

F360_sculpt_explicit_convert.png

F360_flip_normal.png

Let us know is this helps. 

Thanks,

Anand

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 5 of 8
deyop
in reply to: karyeka

Pressing the question a bit further, what is the reason you want to flip the normal?  Is there a command that will not perform as expected unless the normal is flipped?  Is the issue just visual?  If there are no commands where the normal direction is affecting behavior and the issue is just visual we could consider double sided shading instead of single sided shading.  We have hesitated to make that change in case there was a workflow or command we were not considering.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: deyop

I'm having the same issue where a t-spine won't reverse, Fusion's design history is a neat feature and save a lot of time. It's a shame we can't reverse a body without losing the design history. It'd be nice if there was an off switch for the visual aspect.
Message 7 of 8
10thchamber
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey, still not getting it. is there an option to flip the normal direction of Forms and keep the edit function working?

Message 8 of 8

File>Export and then Attach your *.f3d file here if you can't figure it out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report