Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forma - Analyse Area Metric

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
seda.tugutlu
1096 Views, 7 Replies

Forma - Analyse Area Metric

Hello all,

I am currently exploring Forma. So far I have found the floor plan tool very useful in my workflow. In many cases it is a big step forward!

I am confused on one point, which is the Area Metrics Analye tool. I am not able to see the number of total units, Net Internal Area (NIA), etc.

In Spacemaker could see the total number of units (also in % based on sizes). We were also able to set the interior and exterior wall thicknesses, so Spacemaker could give the NIA which is very important in residential projects.

I hope I couldn't find that in the new interface. Otherwise, it would be a big step backwards for me and anyone who specializes in residential projects. Has anyone already tested it? 

I look forward to your help!

Seda

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seda.tugutlu
in reply to: seda.tugutlu

I`ve just realized that when I run sunlight analysis I cannot see graphs. Before We were able to see percantages of facade surface by sunlight hours. 

sedatugutlu_0-1684225984535.png

I hope i am just in the wrong interface, otherwise all these tools make no sense without numeratic output for me (also many architects, developers) 

Message 3 of 8

Hi, Seda!
TLDR: We do not yet have this functionality in Forma, but we are working on it.

You are quite right that the Area Metrics in Forma works a bit differently than it did in the Classic version of the product. We are building it to be far more customisable than the old version was, but in order to make sure that Area Metrics are easy to understand even with more freedom to customise we are taking care to start simple and improve it step by step.

Starting simple means that the current version of Area Metrics only takes into account the gross area of each floor of a building, and does not 'see' how that floor is internally partitioned into units, cores, corridors, etc. With the gross areas as a starting point, users can customise their metrics to be calculated as a factor of the gross area or of another custom metric.

We are currently starting the task of figuring out exactly how we want to extend Area Metrics to use the interior plans as input in order to enable more detailed stats, and simply counting the number of units will probably be one of the first things we add.

We do not think we will add wall thicknesses as a calculation assumption the way we had in the Classic product, since such assumptions (which are not reflected in the model that the user can see as they design) makes it harder for the user to verify themselves that the calculation and resulting numbers are appropriate. We think the need for such verification is essential as we increase the ability to customise Area Metrics to serve your personal needs. This means that wall thicknesses are more likely to appear as a design element in the floor plan drawing mode - which impacts calculation by changing the floor plan model that the calculations are based no - than as a pure calculation setting for Area Metrics.

If you are interested in following our progress on Area Metrics and testing prototypes as we develop them, send me an email at espen.wold@autodesk.com.

With regards to you question on numerical stats for the analyses, this is something the Analysis teams are thinking about how to build in Forma. The changes that we have made to make Forma more extendable than the Classic product means that we need a new solution for this feature. We are confident we will solve it, but we have not gotten around to it yet.

I hope this at least explains why the functionality you are looking for is not yet available.
Regards,
Espen

Message 4 of 8
erikNVUER

Any news on when we can expect area metrics to be expanded?

The lack of info (that can easily be visualized) on units sizes and gross/nett ratios is a real issue! Complex analyses (wind/noise/etc) are of little value if these cannot be related to residential units. Developers want to be able to relate price segments (very often just measured by area) to urban quality.

Message 5 of 8

When undertaking concept analysis, we also use Exterior Wall thickness as a indicator for NIA. Like Classic, the options should exist and allow users to determine which one best suits their rules of measurement.

Message 6 of 8

Any news on when we can expect area metrics to be expanded?

Nothing like a set date, and neither will there be one big expansion as we aim to make improvements in small steps that can be released continuously. Right now we are finalising an update that will make it easier to see which buildings contribute to various stats, and whether the contributions make sense. When this is in place we plan to start working on making the Area Metrics more customisable and providing things like unit size distribution.

With regards to wall thickness, we have just started experimenting with adding this to our building models. What we learn through those experiments will determine how, if and when we move forward with that initiative.

Regards,
Espen

Message 7 of 8

totally agree! total unit number is in now! fanstastic. but also wall tickness  is definitely needed. Unfortunaly still Forma is way behind the classic version in terms of accurate numbers and analysis. 

Also one more question? In the classic version we were able to explore floor plans based on core types etc. 
Do you plan to add that feature as well?  It was extermly useful for the first check. 
Actually the combination of what we had before and now would be wonderful. after exploring floor plans we customize them. 

Message 8 of 8
hschlosman

I am trying to get the Unit Sizes to an average that I want.  ... right now, if I do the math, the Units are 1,092 SF. But:

• Is there a place to change the average size SF/ unit into a different number? Is there?
  • I am trying to get the parking to have different numbers too, but there seems to be no place to change the SF per Parking. Usually, we Varie between 350-450 SF per parking space for rough Urban Design Calculations. But in here I the number is 323 SF, and I cant seem to be able to change it?

Anyone knows how to do these two thigs?

Thanks in advance, 

H

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators