Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting urban sites takes time, but with 10 or 15 people .... ???

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Bogdan_Chipara
228 Views, 4 Replies

Adjusting urban sites takes time, but with 10 or 15 people .... ???

Forma is a good tool for urban planning tasks especially for updating sites.

I was wandering, can I invite many people to work on my urban area ?

If 10 people work for 1 month they could update entire cities. Imagine the GIS data quantity resulting !

Labels (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi Bogdan,

First of all, great to hear that you think Forma is a good tool for urban planning and updating sites, and that you want to use it to collaborate with your colleagues. One way of achieving this today is by inviting your colleagues to your project. Here's a help center article describing how to do that: https://help.autodeskforma.com/en/articles/4531957-manage-members-and-their-access#h_c755945190

That said, having multiple people working on the same proposal at the same time is not something we support well yet, but we're looking at ways to improve that. In the meantime it would be really helpful for us to get a better sense of what you'd like to do within Forma. Could you share some of the workflows you'd like to collaborate on with 10 to 15 people like you said?

Message 3 of 5

"having multiple people working on the same proposal at the same time" is the next big thing! Super exciting!

Most architecture offices use 3D geometry to link their designs with the context. In many situations, the context has to be modeled. Municipalities also have to produce a database with the current rules and regulations, they need GIS, they neeed 3D models.

Unfortunatley, there is no common ground or database: OpenStreetMap is one thing, architects model stuff by themselves, municipalities sometimes sell GIS with a lot of money to cover production costs.

What you can do, is to link all those players in the urban development world, even the developers, on a single platform that provides open GIS data. then this data can be checked by OpenStreetMap community and imported. 

Obviously by creating communities you create market value to sustain an opensource platform.

Now for the colab design let's look at games like Minecraft where with many players attending, amazing work has been done. Minecraft is gaming and art but still ... it has brought a lot of money to the developers.

Autodesk already has some online collab tools so you can take some knowledge from that.

I look forwards to Autodesk community events for building virtual clones of cities!

Message 4 of 5

These are some great idea @Bogdan_Chipara  :)) 

Ramping up an ecosystem (like the one you mentioned above) usually has chicken and egg problem..... Urban designers will use forma when they have data....municipality will share data when there are a lot of designer in the app.

We are currently focusing on making urban designer/architect life great... is there any specific data.. you would like to see... 

I remember, you mentioned (land use from OSM) ... anything else?

Message 5 of 5

Ramping the ecosistem is not really what I suggest, my fellow farmer 😄
The correct strategy is Organic growth - Always aim for Organic growth to ballance resources and assets.

And now the specific data:
- Sun exposure diagram
- View quality diagram
- Wind diagram
- Shadow study on the ground at specific hours (you dont have yet)
- Micro climate
- Noise
- Operational energy
- Solar energy
- Permeability diagram (As I mentioned before)
- Parking
- Office space distribution (Same algorithm as parking, should be done already)
- Is it possible to extract program diagrams based on GIA assignment ?
- Landuse
- GIS data for urban stations like bus stops, metro stops
- Bikepath - as I mentioned before

Improvments:
- Increased level of detail for architecture elements (as i suggested before)
- Import acis SAT nurbs geometry (as it is already in Revit)
- Export with materials - possible bake the solar study result? etc
- Shareing via web browser link (webgl, etc)
- coop modelling
- tilted roof tool (as in Revit)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators