Text update with size stretch?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
tyler2sl
632 Views, 17 Replies

Text update with size stretch?

Hello all.

I have a rectangle. There is text inside the rectangle describing the size of the rectangle. I would like to make the text update when the rectangle's length and/or width change.

Is this possible?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Libbya
in reply to: tyler2sl

Probably depending on how you want the text updated.  Post the block for a better answer.

Message 3 of 18
tyler2sl
in reply to: Libbya

Please see attached.

Message 4 of 18
Libbya

See attached.  When you update the size, do a regen and the fields will update.  The white field box will not plot and is just there to show it is a field.  You can turn it off with the fielddisplay sys variable if you want.

Message 5 of 18
tyler2sl

Thank you for you quick response. That sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for. I am getting the following error however.

ERROR.PNG

I am using AutoCAD 2012. Could you save to an earlier filetype?

Message 6 of 18
Libbya

Ok.

Message 7 of 18
tyler2sl

Fantastic. Thank you Libbya.
Message 8 of 18
tyler2sl

Well, I've come across an issue with this: The dynamic block won't print! It appears as though it is on the same layers as the front and end views, but no avail. What could cause this?

Message 9 of 18
Libbya

The linework within the block must be on a plotting layer and the block itself must be on a plotting layer.  The file I previously posted has the block on the Defpoints layer which is non-plotting.

Message 10 of 18
tyler2sl

So simple. Thanks!
Message 11 of 18
tyler2sl

More troublesome than the last issue is that now when the block is rotated, the text jumps out of place.

Message 12 of 18
Libbya

I believe that is a bug with multiline attributes.  You could break it up into two single-line attribute, one for the size and one for the type.

Message 13 of 18
Charles_Shade

Not happening here. And if I Reset the DynBlk the Text moves back to the proper placement in the previously Rotated DynBlk's as well.

Same behaviour using a Hot Grip or thru the Quick Properties.

Message 14 of 18
tyler2sl
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Interesting. Could it just be an issue with AutoCAD 2012 then?

Sometimes when I open it up the text is in the right place, but other times it is not. It seems to be random.
Message 15 of 18
Charles_Shade

That may be.

Did you create the DynBlk within the AutoCAD 2012 environment or get them from somewhere else?

(Though why that would make a difference is beyond me.)

Message 16 of 18
tyler2sl

Good thought. I only modified from what Libbya provided. I believe that is a newer environment.

Message 17 of 18
Libbya

@Charles_Shade wrote:

Not happening here. And if I Reset the DynBlk the Text moves back to the proper placement in the previously Rotated DynBlk's as well.

Same behaviour using a Hot Grip or thru the Quick Properties.

The issue occurs after the file is saved and then re-opened.  Does the text stay in its proper position in the rotated blocks after saving, closing and re-opening the file?

Message 18 of 18
Charles_Shade

Now that is truly odd!

Google says this has been talked about since at least 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta