Stretching a door and flipping hinges

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Exevium
283 Views, 2 Replies

Stretching a door and flipping hinges

Dear internet wizards,

I've created a flexible door, that is able to stretch in width, height, has extra windows, extra door variations and built in dimensions. The problem is fairly straightforward.

Is it possible to flip the hinges, but not the door itself, and still have the stretch parameter work as expected?

The block on the left is the block I'm currently working on, the block on the right is the problem distilled to its most basic question.

It's important only the hinges are flipped, as the dimensions are slightly offset. This makes it difficult to stretch them separately. However, I am willing to accept I've built it completely wrong and have to restart.

If it's not too much trouble, could I ask you magicians for a screenrecording and a DWG?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Libbya
in reply to: Exevium

It is too much trouble to do a video (since AutoDesk Screencast was discontinued).  I also find that it is most often anti-helpful to the learning process to post finished blocks rather than to post the information necessary to fix the block, so I won't be doing that either but will attach a simplified DWG that shows the solution in a minimal state for clarity.

Yes, it is possible to flip the handle/hinges and have the stretch work correctly afterward.  You will need to set the system variable BACTIONBARMODE to 0 in order to be able to add actions to the selection sets of other actions.  When you flip an action that has an angle offset that is not 0 or 180, then the angle offset is flipped.  This is what you need to have happen, but your stretch actions are 0 and 180 so it requires an additional workaround.  See the attached file.  I removed the hinges and handle from the stretch selection sets.  I added a chained point/move to the block (the placed position of that point move is not relevant).  I added a move action to the main linear parameter, added the new chained point/move to its selection set, changed the move action's angle offset to 90 in properties, and then added that move action to the selection set of the flip action (when flipped, the move action's angle offset will change from 90 to 270).  I then added two move actions to that chained point/move.  One of the actions is for the handle and one is for the hinges.  Each of those move actions have had their angle offsets changed appropriately to 90/270 so that the objects in their selection sets are moved appropriately.  Hopefully the how and why of what I've done all make sense.  Let me know if you get stuck or have questions.

Message 3 of 3
Exevium
in reply to: Exevium

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I need!

It's sometimes difficult to follow some explanations without a video or DWG. Sometimes it's difficult to follow with them! But the block and explanation you've given are very straightforward.

I've applied the solution in the new model. Again, thank you so much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report