Did you mean: 

Reverse rotation?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
maxML94G
1281 Views, 8 Replies

Reverse rotation?

Hello,

I Hope someone can help me out. Or can tell me for sure it isn't possible.

I am trying to make a Dynamic block of a rooftop detail.

I want to fill in the roof angle from the properties menu.
As the block is now, the left side works properly, only I need to have the right side mirrored.

But because of my constraints I can not flip the side, cause the fixed points will not flip too.

Also I do not know if it is possible to get a second rotation, but with the start point on the right, so it rotates clockwise (it now rotates counterclockwise)

Or maybe there is a way that if I put in an angle for the left side. The rightside simultaniously get a mirrored angle??

I hope I made my question clear.?

I attached the block I have so far.

Oh and I need to be able to get every possible angles. (Also decimals)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Colin-Pearson
in reply to: maxML94G

Maybe try using a bunch of Symmetric Constraints to make the right side match the left (where the Rotate Action is applied).

You can use an Angular BCPARAMETER to define the angle between a line on the left side and the vertical centerline.  Do it again on the right, then in the Property Manager for the second BCPARAMETER (ang2), find the box for Expression and make it equal to 360+ang1.  Then when you are out of the Block Editor and type in the angle for the left side, the right mirrors.  There's definitely issues though; some of the other linework acts a bit crazy (probably due to the Constraints, I'm no good at those), but more importantly, the ang1 and ang2 only apply to the vert line and a single line that you choose.  You can probably make the other geometry follow along with more Constraints, but like I said, I suck at those. 

This thread ( https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks-forum/mirrored-rotation-dynamic-block/td-p/3501262 )has a nice solution from @Anonymous  that you could use... it looks like you'd have to enter every angle by hand but it could be done.  Obviously if you need any more than 1 decimal point that would get even more ridiculous that 90*10=900 entries you'll already have to make.   I find it hard to believe that there's no way to 

There's probably a better way altogether, but hopefully some of that is useful.

Message 3 of 9
Libbya
in reply to: Colin-Pearson

Reverse rotation is certainly possible with an infinite adjustability and without the cumbersome task of filling out endless rows in a block properties table.  It does require a complicated chain of parameters/actions.

No constraints are necessary and mixing constraints in with dynamic parameters/actions usually just causes problems.  

See screencast:

Message 4 of 9
maxML94G
in reply to: Libbya

Thx for your reply and work you put in it.

But that is not completely what I mean.

I got further with my detail today. And I got it to this.

I only need to set both side angles seperate. (And I need the flip, otherwise It doesn't work the rightway)
You can set both angles in the property menu and the lines are all good. (even with decimals)

Now I only need to get the flip invisable, but if I set the grip to "0" it flips back and than it doesn't work.

Message 5 of 9
illusionistNUGXG
in reply to: maxML94G

If you scale the block (x = -1), all text will be mirrored, too. If you don't mind that, it's an easy solution.

Your block doesn't use a visibility parameter.

If you create everything a second time and switch between both versions with the visibility, it should work.

But...i'm not sure if the parameters can be linked properly. You might end with 2 sets of parameters in the block.

Might be worth a try.

EDIT: Oh...better could be the usage of both.

If you scale (x = -1) and then use the visibility parameter only for a mirrored version of all text objects, you wouldn't need to worry about a second set of parameter.

Message 6 of 9
Exevium

Man... Do you know how to pull off black wizardry in AutoCAD. I'm always astonished when you come up with these things. I particularly like how you hooked up a double lookup to visibility states, had some good fun puzzling with those.

Logically speaking, what's happening here? It seems 1 rotational parameter is hooked up to the X-distance, and the other to the Y-distance, but what is making them stay the same?

And if it's not too much trouble, would you mind sharing the DWG? I'd love to have a look under the hood myself.

Message 7 of 9
Libbya
in reply to: Exevium

I didn't save the file.

The rotate parameter/action rotates a chained point/stretch.  The chained point/stretch stretches the chained XY parameter.  The XY parameter allows you to specify whether a stretch action acts in X and Y or only X or only Y.  Because the rotations are side by side, I set up the stretch actions of the XY as follows.  Stretching vertically acts only in Y and is the same for either rotation.  Stretching horizontally acts only in X and is reversed (distance modifier or -1).  Those stretch actions act on a second chained rotate parameter which rotates exactly reversed from the primary rotate parameter.      

Message 8 of 9
hwalker

Ah yes I remember using a similar solution to that when someone ask if they could get some cogs to rotate in the opposite direction

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 9 of 9
Exevium

Thank you so much for the explanation. Reversing the X-stretch is very clever.

For anyone who might be struggling with this like I was, I've included a DWG to mess around with. What I missed in the video, was switching the rotation actions to Independent, everything clicked from that moment.

@hwalkerGood idea to try and make cogs!

@LibbyaThank you for more than 10 years of support! You seriously helped my career.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta