Did you mean: 

Making progress, but...

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
BillAllenSE
212 Views, 3 Replies

Making progress, but...

I've run into a very fundamental ACAD problem which I should know how to address.

In my previous post, I mentioned I didn't want to create a seed drawing but a free-standing block file.
Well, in creating my dynamic block, I've created an ACAD cardinal sin of creating a block within a drawing and, when I go to insert that block into another drawing, I get the dreaded "block references itself" message.
I don't know how to activate the block editing tools within an ACAD drawing, but, now that I've got the dynamic block to work the way I want it, the only way I can use it is to open the file, copy it with a copy and paste command, which is no different than using a seed drawing. I've attached my drawing file with the block inside.
How can I create a file, but maintain the block parameters I've created?
Thank you,

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hwalker
in reply to: BillAllenSE

I've never used a single drawing as a block. I always use a "seed" drawing so I can't help you there. However to edit a block all you need to do is at the command line type BE which stands for blockedit

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 4
Washingtonn

Rename the drawing to something other than the block name.

Renamed drawing file (delete file with block name).

Use the WBLOCK command within the renamed file and select block as source, enter name.

Set destination file name (use block name) and path where it will be saved.

Insert the new drawing into new drawing.

Message 4 of 4
j.palmeL29YX

@BillAllenSE wrote:

when I go to insert that block into another drawing, I get the dreaded "block references itself" message.

This is because your dwg (No 3 Tie.dwg) and the block definition inserted in it have the same name. 

You must understand how blocks work: 

Assuming you have a new empty drawing (test.dwg). Now run the insert command and choose any drawing (e.g. your "No 3 Tie.dwg") to insert it. What now happens: 

- AutoCAD creates in your current drawing (test.dwg) a new block definition. The name of this block definition will be the name of the inserted dwg (No 3 Tie). That means with other words, your current test.dwg now knows a block definition "No 3 Tie". 

- Even if you now escape the insert command, the block definition exists in your current drawing. But you do not yet have inserted a block reference. 

- The content of this block definition is identic with the content of the source file "No 3 Tie.dwg". That means (again with other words), your current drawing now knows all elements of the inserted dwg: all drawn geometry, all layers, all styles and so on, and also all block definitions witch were stored in the test.dwg. 

=> And now you get a problem: The insert command created immediately in your current file a new block definition "No 3 Tie", but it brings with it a block definition with the same name. (so the block references itself). 

==>Solution: Rename the No  3 Tie.dwg (e.g. to "No 3 Tie-1.dwg") before inserting this file into an other file. If you now insert No 3 Tie-1 dwg in your current file, you will get an automatically created block definition  "No 3 Tie-1"  and additional the block definition No 3 Tie which was brought along. (BTW: if you don't need the block definition No 3 Tie-1 you can remove it with the purge command. 

@BillAllenSE wrote:

How can I create a file, but maintain the block parameters I've created?

Open your  "No 3 Tie.dwg", run the WBLOCK command, choose the source option Block and select the block No 3 Tie. You will get a so called WBLOCK file which includes authoring elements. If you open this new created file you will be asked if you want to open in block editor. Say Yes and and you can edit the dynamic parameters and actions.

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost