LTM1300-6.3 TELESCOPIC BOOM PLAN

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
m_leyshon
492 Views, 10 Replies

LTM1300-6.3 TELESCOPIC BOOM PLAN

Hi All,

Can anyone help me. I am trying to produce a Dynamic Telescopic Boom in plan view. 

I would want to learn how each section can move in an out but stop when the tele section reaches its limit. I would want only one point from boom head to pull all sections out from.

I have uploaded a block that contains each Boom  tele section for movement.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CGBenner
in reply to: m_leyshon

@m_leyshon 

Welcome to the forums!

I think to do what you are describing, pulling from one point and having the boom open and stop automatically at the end of each segment, this would need to be modeled in 3D with constraints placed that would create or simulate the interference where two segments meet.  In 2D, the best that I am aware of is that you would need to draw the assembly in both fully closed and fully open, and manually show the maximum travel of each segment. 

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 11
leeminardi

Here's a tutorial of how I did it with 3ds Max.

https://youtu.be/-xjHKSVs9Z0

If you want model similar action in AutoCAD without the use of LISP you could use its Parametric features.

In the following image I have vertically moved the components so tha you could more easily see and edit the dimensions.  Start by locking the position of section 1 then add linear dimensional constraints as shown. To move the position of Section 2 change the dimension d1.  Likewise d3 moves section 2.

leeminardi_0-1718371670668.png

leeminardi_1-1718371739819.png

leeminardi_2-1718371791340.png

Since logic statement are not available (to my knowledge) with parametrics in AutoCAD you cannot set conditional contraints as a function of a dimensional value.

lee.minardi
The process of using 3ds Max expression controllers to model the action of an expanding/contracting telescoping beam.
Message 4 of 11
ojuris

may be thi is interesting for you - see attachment

Message 5 of 11
MMcCall402

Here's a quick stab at it.   It uses a single polar parameter and several polar stretch actions.  Each stretch action has a distance multiplier that reduces its amount of stretch depending on which section its moving.  There are 7 sections that move so their multipliers are 6/7, 5/7, 4/7, etc.  It telescopes each section evenly. (not sure if that's what you want though)

MMcCall402_0-1718379803926.png

MMcCall402_0-1718379975743.png

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 6 of 11
Libbya

Am I right that you want only the first boom section to move until it reaches its maximum extension, then the second segment also starts to move, etc...?  If so, then you can create the desired functionality without creating a 3D model, without constraints, and without the use of LISP.

Create a dynamic block with a single linear parameter.  Create a visibility state for each set of moving items.  Switch the visibility state using a double lookup that uses the single linear parameter value to switch the visibility state.  See attached.  I made (4) of the necessary visibility states and added the necessary values to the double lookup in order to demonstrate the concept so you could complete it on your own.  See attached.

Message 7 of 11
m_leyshon
in reply to: MMcCall402

Mark, This is exactly what I asked for. Thank you.

I will have to practice how to create now!

Message 8 of 11
m_leyshon
in reply to: CGBenner

This is great thank you for the feedback!
Message 9 of 11
m_leyshon
in reply to: ojuris

Thank you!
Message 10 of 11
m_leyshon

Good Morning Mark! Have you got a tutorial on this??
Message 11 of 11
m_leyshon
in reply to: MMcCall402

Good Morning Mark! Have you got a tutorial on this by any chance?? I would greatly appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta