Hide Attribute when inserting a block

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Mike_Y2
569 Views, 9 Replies

Hide Attribute when inserting a block

Hi Forum,

I have a dynamic block with several attributes. The default value of Attribute "Length" is linked (via "insert field") to the value of a parameter. The attribute value differs from the parameter as it has a prefix.

When you insert the block it prompts the user to fill in all the attributes. I want to stop the user being able to see (and edit) the Attribute "Length" when inserting the block. When creating the block I have tried different settings ("Invisible", "Verify" and "Preset" etc) but can't seam to prevent the user from seeing / editing the attribute "Length".

Thanks in advance for you help

Labels (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
hwalker
in reply to: Mike_Y2

Change it to CONSTANT.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 10
Mike_Y2
in reply to: hwalker

@hwalker Thanks for the quick reply. I tried this and while  it does stop the user being able to see (and edit) the Attribute "Length" it also stops the attribute linking (via "insert field") to the parameter.

It just displays the Attribute Tag and the Parameter name, instead of the parameter value (with the prefix)

Message 4 of 10
hwalker

Don't link it to the parameter. Link it to a line which is stretched by the parameter. If you don't want the line to be seen, put a visibility parameter in the block, select the line and change the visibility to hide for all states. See the attached drawing.

The linear parameter is stretching two lines, but I've hidden one in all visibility states so you can't see it you will only be able to see it if you toggle the icon in the image below

hwalker_0-1677063780835.png

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 10
Mike_Y2

@hwalker Brilliant! this works!!! Thanks a lot - I really appreciate your help.

Instead of using a visibility state, I converted the line into a "construction line" which is by default hidden 🙂

Message 6 of 10
hwalker

Don't forget for the field to change a regen needs to be done on the drawing

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 10
Mike_Y2
in reply to: hwalker

@hwalker Thanks yes I was aware of this disadvantage.

One of the reasons I want to link an attribute to a parameter is you can export attributes using AutoCAD LT but I am not aware of a way to export parameters in LT, as LT doesn't have the "DataExtraction" command.

Also some of the users of the block are using a Mac and the Mac version of Autocad doesn't have the "DataExtraction" command.

"ATTEXT" does work on Mac and PC but is limited to Attributes.

Message 8 of 10
Mike_Y2

@hwalker If I use the above method (An attribute specified as "CONSTANT". In the "default" I insert a field linked to an objects length) I can extract attribute for a single block.

HOWEVER... when I insert multiple instances of that block and then extract the attributes using ATTEXT the data is blank???

What am I doing wrong?

Message 9 of 10
hwalker

Unfortunately I don't know as I never need to use data extraction

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 10 of 10
Mike_Y2

@hwalker Thanks for the quick response.

I will create a new forum post

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta