Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block from scratch - new to using them

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tstorzuk
2206 Views, 6 Replies

Dynamic Block from scratch - new to using them

Hello all,

A little help please. I'm new to Dynamic Blocks in AutoCAD, and I'm not sure if what I want to accomplish is even possible. So I thought to ask here before even starting.

First before I get to my question, if you have any links/resources for learning to create Dynamic Blocks they would be appreciated if you could share them.

Now to my question.....I'm wanting to make some dynamic piping blocks (flanges, elbows, tees, weld gaps, etc...).

For filtering them I need various parameters;

1. Rating (this is the pipe pressure rating)

2. Size (actual size of the piping components)

3. Schedule (the thickness of the piping components)

I would like the blocks to be arranged so that I filter the rating first, size second, and schedule third. All three filters would determine all of the dimensions/lengths/size/layers/linetypes of the dynamic block to be placed. All of these dimensions, if possible, could they be input from an excel sheet or a list (based on the above filters)?

Then, would it also be possible to change the orientation of the Dynamic Block (for example, a flange viewed face on is totally different from it being viewed from the side).

Thanks in advance for all your help. I look forward to hearing from all.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: tstorzuk

Can you provide a bit more clarification on what you mean by rating.  My next suggestion is assuming your trying to draw a block that can be changed into any of those you had in the picture.  For the sizes such as thickness and  length you can use distance parameters and stretch action to control the size and lengths.  For thickness have the parameter by a set list of thickness uses or you can have controlled by increments.  For the length it would be best to have it control by increments.  To keep everything where you want them your going to need constraints to help keep the center of the smaller circles in place while modifying radii of them or the inner and outer parts.

Message 3 of 7
tstorzuk
in reply to: Anonymous

ceeschell,

Rating in piping refers to a pressure rating that a component is good for, or "working pressure classes". Typical ratings are 150, 300, 400, 600, 900, 1500 and 2500 based on ANSI B16.5 (for flanges and flanged fittings); 2000, 3000 and 6000 based on ANSI B16.11 (for forged socket-weld and threaded fittings); 75, 150, 300, 400, 600 and 900 based on ANSI B16.47 (for large diameter steel flanges).

Hopefully that clears up what Rating means in regards to the dynamic blocks that I'm going to want to try to create.

Message 4 of 7
Libbya

First before I get to my question, if you have any links/resources for learning to create Dynamic Blocks they would be appreciated if you could share them.

Now to my question.....I'm wanting to make some dynamic piping blocks (flanges, elbows, tees, weld gaps, etc...).

For filtering them I need various parameters;

1. Rating (this is the pipe pressure rating)

2. Size (actual size of the piping components)

3. Schedule (the thickness of the piping components)

I would like the blocks to be arranged so that I filter the rating first, size second, and schedule third. All three filters would determine all of the dimensions/lengths/size/layers/linetypes of the dynamic block to be placed. All of these dimensions, if possible, could they be input from an excel sheet or a list (based on the above filters)?

Then, would it also be possible to change the orientation of the Dynamic Block (for example, a flange viewed face on is totally different from it being viewed from the side).

Thanks in advance for all your help. I look forward to hearing from all.

Best resources I know of for learning dynamic blocks are this forum, autocad help files, and free youtube videos.

Inputting the various parameters from excel might be problematic depending on the type of functionality you're looking for.  Other than that, everything you describe would be possible using dynamic parameters/actions and a block properties table.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I tried doing some research to find out exactly how to draw what you wanted as a block.  Could you provide dimensions or a sample drawings of what is needed to be covered by the dynamic block.  Also are Typical ratings of 150, 300, 400, 600, 900, 1500 and 2500 controlled by different materials for the pipes or the thickness of walls of the pipes.  For the other two they look like they can be easily be done if I know the list of measurements that have to be controlled.  Such has going from 2000 to a 3000 based on ANSI B16.11.  I'm sorry that I am unfamiliar with pipe fitting but I do think I can design this block your looking for.  From what I'm thinking is your going to need two or three look up states to control the parameters that are changed so you can get the specific pipe fitting you want but, if ratings are controlled by different material than your going to need a visibility state instead of the third lookup state.  Also if its both then you can have the third look up state and the visibly state and if this is the case then when you make the new visibility state you are going to want make sure that when the new state is made with hiding everything in new visibility state is checked.  Then just copy with base point 0,0 on the first state and paste it at 0,0 in the new one.  Then all would have to do is just change the parameters increment list to match the new material for the ratings and then that state will be done.

Message 6 of 7
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

Ceeschell, you can only have one basepoint parameter in a block regardless of how many visibility states you have.  

Tstorzuk, post up an example file showing in detail what you would like to do and I will work up an example.  

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Yes the base point would still be the doing that from one visibility state to another saves on drawing the object again and retraining it that what I meant.  The parameters do not carry over but they easy to reapply and add the stretches and other actions used in the first state.  Also doing it this way allows for when inserting the block or moving it around they connect the same way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta