Chained Dynamic Profile of Manhole

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
tjp.mobile
545 Views, 11 Replies

Chained Dynamic Profile of Manhole

Hi all,

My supervisor set me an interesting task to make a fully dynamic manhole profile.  There are 3 goals but to keep it simple, I'm going to just mention the first 2 goals here.

1 - to stretch the manhole barrel and automatically add segments as it's stretched.
2 - to stretch the manhole frame and automatically add ring segments as it's stretched.

So basically we want to stretch the manhole above and below.

Here's how it looks like to start;

tjpmobile_0-1710438494348.png

I've already run into issues stretching down.  When I do so - this is the result I get;

tjpmobile_1-1710438605733.png

Rather than populating the newly blank space created as I stretch, it's appending the bottom of the MH with more barrels.

I haven't found a way to correct that, and I'm stumped.   I can make a stretch action and an array action separately but it's clunky as hell and really doesn't work for me.  Is there any way to resolve this?

Tpenner

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: tjp.mobile

First it would be nice to know your 3rd goal too. (Sometimes a new request requires a completely other strategy of solution). 

2nd I'm not sure what you mean with manhole barrel and manhole frame (sorry for my ignorance). Can you show us an example of the expected results. 

For the beginning I attach a  first attempt. 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
tjp.mobile
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Well the 3rd goal is a little more complicated.  The first two were the primary ones.  The third may not be possible.

We wanted to also have multiple barrel sizes for the manholes.  I already figured out visual states won't work with this as you can't have both dynamic actions AND visual states.  But I'm going to try using constraints to do something similar if at all possible.  These are the varying barrel sizes;

tjpmobile_0-1710447113984.png

Ex.

tjpmobile_1-1710447131916.png

And this is kind of what we're shooting for once it's all figured out for goal 1 and 2;

tjpmobile_2-1710447185234.png

Some of the linework might be adjusted, but right now I just need to focus on creating a working prototype

I'll check out your dwg - thanks!

Tpenner

Message 4 of 12
tjp.mobile

Your example is awesome!  How did you make it work?  I'll try and figure out your block.

EDIT:  Went over it and reverse engineered it.  That is REALLY smart.  I like how you did that.  Basically linking two different parameters together.  I didn't even know you could do that.

Message 5 of 12
Ed.Jobe

He's a db pro!

Ed

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
j.palmeL29YX

I'd do it with Visibility States. 

Draw all seven different sizes and add to each of the variants the needed parameters and actions the same way as shown above. Create a visibility parameter with seven visibility states which show the needed variant. 

In the attached example I added for demonstration to the exixting 1050 size a new 2400 size. (Some of the dimensions which I don't know I guessed any value). Repeat the same as often (5x ?) as you need. 

Good luck  

Tip: For a better clarity I'd suggest first draw the 7 variants side by side (incl. all parameters and actions), next add the visibility states and at last move each of the variants to the basepoint using the STRETCH command.

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: Ed.Jobe

@Ed.Jobe 

THX  😉  

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
hwalker

@j.palmeL29YX I'd do it with a Block Properties table for the sizes. Then you only need one visibility state.

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 9 of 12
tpennerNXGJH

I tried to do visibility states and actions and it didn't work for me... How did you get it to work?

Message 10 of 12
tpennerNXGJH
in reply to: hwalker

That's what I was doing but if visibility states will work with actions - I'm all for it.  Then I don't have to mess with constraints.

Message 11 of 12
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: tpennerNXGJH

@tpennerNXGJH wrote:

How did you get it to work?

Attached a demo how to solve the initial question from post#1 and how to use Vis States to switch between different sizes. I have shown only 3 sizes and only manipulating the lower part of the model. But I think with the given hints you can complete the model to your needs.  

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
tpennerNXGJH

That's awesome!  Thank you.  I'll give it a watch and learn.  I appreciate your help so much!

EDIT:  Fantastic video, very thorough and breaks it down step by step.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost