Block editor changes not saving

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
7731 Views, 10 Replies

Block editor changes not saving

AutoCad 2014 64bit Windows 7

I am trying to modify a block by adding dynamic properties. A simple rotate perimeter and action. I save and test the block before closing the editor with 100% success. I close and save changes. I then open a blank acad template (no pre-existing blocks) to test inserting the revised block and my changes have not been made? I have tried restarting, insert vs. dragging from design center. What am I missing. I searched the forum and found similar issues but none quite the same?

Randy

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

Please post the blank template file AND the block file you are trying to insert.  

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Drawing 8 - I my functional dynamic block. Steps: I created my object in a default acad template. Created a block using the Wblock command and saved it to my elevation marker block folder. I opened a new default acad template inserted this block, right click, Block editor, added a rotation parameter and then a rotation action, tested, success. I then closed the block editor and saved changes. I opened a new acad template (Drawing 10), inserted this new block and it came in as my original block without the dynamic properties. I have modified block names each time, purged and cussed. What simple step am I missing

Message 4 of 11
Libbya

In both cases, you are inserting from the block from your "elevation marker block folder"?  After you modified the block and saved the block when exiting block editor, did you wblock back to the "elevation marker block folder" again?  If not, then all you did was modify the block within the 'new default acad template'.  If you then open another file and insert the block from your "elevation marker block folder" it will not contain any of the recent changes because you did not save those changes to the block file in your "elevation marker block folder". 

I'm not sure what you are trying to show in your two files.  Drawing8 contains a block with a rotate parameter/action.  Drawing10 contains the same block without the rotate parameter/action.  Neither one is a blank template.  Neither one is a block file.  Both contain the block definition for "ELEV_DYN".  Any new insertions of the ELEV_DYN block into drawing10 will not contain the rotate action until the block is redefined within that file.  

Message 5 of 11
Libbya

As I asked in my initial post, please post both the BLANK template file and the block file you are trying to insert.  The BLANK template would be the template file BEFORE you insert any blocks into it. 

Message 6 of 11
hwalker

Did you overwrite your previous drawing?

I copied the block to the clipboard and pasted it into a blank drawing without any problems. Same using Designcenter

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: hwalker

Indeed.  I believe that the OP is either not saving the block changes back to the block file OR they are using a template that already has the block defined within it and new insertions are created with the original definition.  

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

You are correct. I did not wblock it back to my block library. I assumed using the block editor vs. edit block in place I did not need to wblock it again

Message 9 of 11
Libbya

From within the block editor, you can click on the Open/Save pulldown at the far left of the ribbon.  There is the option to "Save Block As".  That will accomplish the same as wblock but is accessible from within the block editor.  You can also open the block file directly in block editor (instead of inserting the block in a new drawing for editing) and in that case, saving the block on exiting the editor will save the changes to that file.  

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I am having the same  problem with 2019 C3D.  I open a block file from my library and CAD prompts whether I want to open it in block editor.  I select Yes, make my changes, save the block, and close the editor but the library file does not get updated.  I have to en the file and edit in place in order for the changes to get saved.

It is ridiculous to have a function that says "Save Block" that does not actually save the block.

Message 11 of 11
Libbya

Please post a screencast of your entire process of opening the block file, making changes, saving the block, re-opening the block and showing the changes were not saved.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report