Did you mean: 

Azimuth tool

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1840 Views, 9 Replies

Azimuth tool

Hello,

I am new to editing autocad and I would really like for someone to help me with this.  I'm trying to make an Azimuth tool where it's like a compass with 4 arrows. Pointing up, down, left, right. I would like to have the degrees at the end of the arrows.

I tried working with dynamic rotate and dimensions, but the dimensions only go to 180. Is there any way to make the specific vertex on the angular dimension work so the dimension can go over 180?

I don't know what to do. It seems so simple, but I don't know how to make this. Thank you in advance!

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

i prepare this screencast as i understand your need.i hope it's help 🙂

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

This is good, but at the end of the arrows I need the degrees it's pointing to. Like where it says N I need it to say 0 degrees and if it turns then I need the degrees. The south I need it to say 180 and if it turns then I need it to tell me what degree it's pointing to. This was useful though. I appreciate the tutorial. 

Message 4 of 10
ara_neresesian

HI

there is very small trick ,you have to draw a circle  ,trim  and put dim angular for that arc (or trimmed circle ). 

see the picture, I just add angular dimension for red circle

I think this trick will help you (more than 180 degree ,draw circle trim it and put your dim)

you can delete circle after dim ,

you can do this in dynamic block also .

I am sending pic and dwg I hope it can be useful.Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question

Message 5 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community! 

I like the suggestions you received here in this thread. I build a quick "compass" for you that uses a field to capture the angle of one of the lines. Perhaps this is an easy way to report the angles. You can obviously adjust the formatting.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Yeah just like that. The only difference is that i want it to show -359 when it gets past 0 degrees. I've gotten that dimensions that show positive numbers, but I'd want the numbers to go from 0 to 359. I would also like to have all four corners to be angles. Sorry for these descriptions. I'm not really good at explaining things. Thank you very much for your replies.

Message 7 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Try this version.

I am not sure how to get negative values but perhaps if you open the dynamic block to examine the fields you will be able to create a formula that does this for you. If you like, I can move this thread to the Dynamic Block forum.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Sorry, I didn't mean to negative 359, I meant to 359. So when the north arrow passes 0 to the left, it doesn't start back at 0 again. the angle would rotate to the right from 0 to 359 and if it rotates left, it goes from 359 to 0. The south arrow would be at 180 degrees.  Yeah, i think this would be a dynamic block. If you can move it there it might work. Thank you!

Message 9 of 10
Joel_Facet

To change the angle to match your azimuth, you will need to use the'UNITS' command, and change the angle precision check box to 'Clockwise'. I've spent some time today creating this azimuth to do your desired function. As answered previously, the compass is a relatively simple block, but to read the degrees from 0-360 in a clockwise direction you have to change the drawing settings, not the block settings. 

I hope this helps, if you haven't already found a solution to the problem at hand.

thanks.

Message 10 of 10
jarredmonday
in reply to: Joel_Facet

Here is what I came up with. It's a start...I made another field with additional values and put it on a different visual state. Then i used a double look up to turn on the visual states depending on the rotation angle. Verify if there are any bugs with it before using it...

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost