Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4-Way Visibility States using Double Lookup Method

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
akitchensZEZPR
534 Views, 4 Replies

4-Way Visibility States using Double Lookup Method

I was following this person's very helpful tutorial on using a "double lookup" to create two separate visibility menus for two different elements in the block.  The double lookup set points to a "visibility" lookup and a "move" lookup. (The move paramenter is just a placeholder).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYZGh70ttF8

However, I am stuck and need some help or advice.

I need to create a block that has 4 sides, in which each side can be turned on or off independently.

I have created a "move" paramenter for each side, and also a single lookup parameter for each side. Each of these single lookup parameters points back to the "move" parameter which would be ON or OFF.

I have also created a double-lookup paramenter that points to both the "move" (on/off) parameter and the 12 possible visibility states.  I don't think I'm doing this right though. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what part of this is wrong. Do I need a QUADRUPLE lookup table? Or a DUODECUPLE lookup table?

I'm attaching my block that I have so far. If you could please point me in the right direction, I would be so grateful.

How to create an AutoCAD Dynamic Block with lookup tables to imitate multiple visibility states!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hwalker
in reply to: akitchensZEZPR

Ok you cannot have lookups in your table which have the same name.

Just for changing visibility states you don't need a move you just need a point which is moved by one of the double lookups. Study both lookup tables very carefully.

Look at what I've changed in your block compared to your original.

See the attached drawing

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 5

Study the attached example. I hope it will help you to create your own solution. 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
Libbya
in reply to: akitchensZEZPR

I invented this technique quite a few years ago and posted that invention initially on this forum.  The technique has evolved some since my initial posting and that evolution reduces errors.  Unfortunately the person in the video used the technique in its unevolved state.  The following screencast shows how I would implement the 4 individual on/off inputs.  IMO the visibility naming, lookup property naming, use of flip parameters with 1/0 state names, etc... all make it far easier to avoid mistakes and to diagnose/fix them if you make them. 

Message 5 of 5

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! This was all very helpful, and now my block works like a dream.

I kept the linear-move action since I already had it set up, but I will definitely try out this easier way next time I make one of these. I can't thank you enough for steering me in the right direction. I still don't fully comprehend HOW it works, but I think I kind of have my head wrapped around what needs to happen to make it work. Saving this page so I can come back to it for reference. Again, thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report