Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update your Autodesk Community username | email communication | FAQ

88 REPLIES 88
Message 1 of 89
amanda.k
13940 Views, 88 Replies

Update your Autodesk Community username | email communication | FAQ

If you have received an email with the subject line "Update your Autodesk Community username," please see below for more information on the request.

FAQ:

• Is this email from Autodesk?

Yes, this email was sent by the Autodesk Community Team. The subject line will read “Update your Autodesk Community username” and was sent from Autodesk@autodeskcommunications.com

• Why do I need to change my username? Is there something wrong with my existing username?

As the Autodesk Community has been connecting customers for over 15 years, there has been an accumulation of duplicate usernames that can lead to confusion within the community. With this username update, we can ensure that each user has a unique identifier so you can reach the right person every time.

• If I change my username, will it have an impact to me accessing other Autodesk systems or portals?

If you use your username to log into any other Autodesk portals, you will need to log in with your new unique username there as well. Otherwise, you can continue using your original email that you created the account with. This only effects the username. 

• I've had my username for decades; changing my username could be confusing for other users on the forums.

We want to make sure that the users that know you can reach out to you – and not someone that has the same username as you. By changing your username slightly, adding a number or series of numbers – you will be able to keep your reputation and ensure all communications and questions that are directed at you, reach you – and not someone else.

• What happens if I don't change my username by May 12, what will happen?

While we recognize that this IS an issue we have to deal with, we will no longer be requiring users to change their usernames by May 12th.  

• When I change my username, must the new username be used when accessing Autodesk licenses?

You should use your updated username when logging into any Autodesk portal, or your original email address.

• Where do I go to change my user name and what are the steps I must take?

Check out the step-by-step guide here or follow these steps:

1. Login to https://profile.autodesk.com
  2. Navigate to "My Profile and Settings”
  3. Select "Security”
  4. Click the pencil in the Username field. *
  5. Enter your chosen Username and Save. *

To see the change, you need to sign out and sign in again

*Please note that this may prompt you to sign in again before you are able to complete the edit and save.

• What's the difference between Autodesk Community Profile and profile.autodesk.com?

The Autodesk Community Profile is your unique identifier for asking questions, learning, and contributing on the Autodesk Community. This information is part of profile.autodesk.com.

Below this line FAQ questions were added 4/21/2023:

• If an user changes their username, will their badges / contributions be automatically assigned to their new username?
    • Yes, everything (post history, kudos, tags, roles, badges, etc.) – remains the same. Only the username is changed.
  • If a user changes their username, does their user ID remain the same?
    • Yes, user ID remains the same.
  • What will happen when someone searches on the previous username, e.g., @Anonymous? Will it find a record and display their archived profile and contributions?
    • Everything is updated with the new username, as if the previous username did not exist. For example, if @Anonymous is updated to @Anonymous, anywhere where @Anonymous was previously tagged will appear as @Anonymous, and any links will remain unbroken.
  • Will a user’s Community contributions automatically carry over to their new username?
    • Yes, the only thing that changes is how the username appears.
  • If a user changes their username and changes it back, and the system allows it, does that mean that they can continue using that username, or will it be changed on May 12?
    • If you have changed your username and then changed it back to the original username, and the system allowed it, then it was no longer a duplicate and it is available to be claimed. As long as it was accepted when you changed it back, it was available as the other owners of that name have changed theirs, and you may continue using it. We will no longer be requiring users to change their usernames by May 12th.  
  • What if I really do not want to change my username?
    • We will no longer be requiring users to change their usernames

Update 4/25/2023 8PM:

If you use Revit Worksharing (Cloud, local, or Revit Server) or non-workshared Revit Cloud
Models, changing your username may cause workflow failures. These include:
• Not being able to open models.
• Not being able to Sync with Central (for workshared models) or save a non-workshared
model to the cloud.
• Elements that cannot be modified by anyone because the elements are checked out to
the prior (and now unavailable) username.

Please refer to this article to determine the appropriate solution.

Update 4/28/20223 3PM PST:

If you are using Collaboration for AutoCAD Plant 3D, changing your username may cause issues
in the collaboration workflows as the new username will need time to take effect. You may
experience not being able to:
• Open a collaboration project from cloud if there is no local cache.
• Check in project settings that have been checked out.
• Check in files that have been checked out.

If you are experiencing these issues, please refer to the use cases here to determine the
appropriate solution.

Amanda Pruyn
Senior Program Manager, Community
88 REPLIES 88
Message 81 of 89
amanda.k
in reply to: amanda.k

@CMacias_PLMP - THANK YOU for getting to this ASAP, before I saw it. I very much appreciate it. 

@CCA_ACH - Just in case, there's also work instructions for Collaboration for AutoCAD Plant 3D here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-announcements/instructions-for-changing-username-with-colla...

Thanks again,

Amanda

Amanda Pruyn
Message 82 of 89
CCA_ACH
in reply to: CMacias_PLMP

@amaterasu-qbb  @CMacias_PLMP

Thanks a lot for your messages. We have revert back to original user name...

Message 83 of 89
zx6roo

I received this email because you archived my first account from 2002 so I had to open another one.   Can you merge them?

Message 84 of 89
pendean
in reply to: zx6roo

@Anonymous They are unable or unwilling to merge accounts: that's never going to happen apparently. For any of us. Ever.
Message 85 of 89
ACADuser

The thread FAQ states the following:

• What if I really do not want to change my username?
    • We will no longer be requiring users to change their usernames

Going forwards, what happens to accounts where duplicate usernames exist? All duplicates of my username are older, so will I be able to retain this account or will it be shut down?

ACADuser
Civil 3D 2018, Raster Design 2018
Windows 7 Enterprise
Dell Precision 5810 Workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB GDDR5
DUAL 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
Message 86 of 89
amanda.k
in reply to: ACADuser

@ACADuser 

I am so sorry for the later reply. I somehow didn't see it!

We still have the issue of duplicate accounts to solve, but we're exploring many other options of how to resolve them. ensuring that there is absolutely 0 effect to users. I don't have a good response for you right now as we have put this on the shelf for the moment while we focus on other pressing needs. 

Amanda

Amanda Pruyn
Message 87 of 89
amanda.k

@Ed.Jobe @kevinthickett @rkmcswain @spage 

It's been a month, and I am updating you on the merge username question.

We've presented this to the technical team for the platform for solutioning. There's not been a solution yet, so I have no more details to share, but it is still being looking into and I am following up internally weekly. 

Just wanted to make sure you knew I didn't brush this aside and false-promise you. I'm trying!

Amanda

Amanda Pruyn
Message 88 of 89
stigla

Area is not excepting the user name, but only email address.
I've created new account because I couldn't login with email address and ended up deleting that account, but again I can't login into Area.
Total confusion.

Message 89 of 89
augustdiaries3

I logged in very easily. They didn't ban my account because I put authentic information about myself. And some question's answer are not available in FAQs . I hope this site make improvement about these issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report