Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update your Autodesk Community username | email communication | FAQ

88 REPLIES 88
Message 1 of 89
amanda.k
13944 Views, 88 Replies

Update your Autodesk Community username | email communication | FAQ

If you have received an email with the subject line "Update your Autodesk Community username," please see below for more information on the request.

FAQ:

• Is this email from Autodesk?

Yes, this email was sent by the Autodesk Community Team. The subject line will read “Update your Autodesk Community username” and was sent from Autodesk@autodeskcommunications.com

• Why do I need to change my username? Is there something wrong with my existing username?

As the Autodesk Community has been connecting customers for over 15 years, there has been an accumulation of duplicate usernames that can lead to confusion within the community. With this username update, we can ensure that each user has a unique identifier so you can reach the right person every time.

• If I change my username, will it have an impact to me accessing other Autodesk systems or portals?

If you use your username to log into any other Autodesk portals, you will need to log in with your new unique username there as well. Otherwise, you can continue using your original email that you created the account with. This only effects the username. 

• I've had my username for decades; changing my username could be confusing for other users on the forums.

We want to make sure that the users that know you can reach out to you – and not someone that has the same username as you. By changing your username slightly, adding a number or series of numbers – you will be able to keep your reputation and ensure all communications and questions that are directed at you, reach you – and not someone else.

• What happens if I don't change my username by May 12, what will happen?

While we recognize that this IS an issue we have to deal with, we will no longer be requiring users to change their usernames by May 12th.  

• When I change my username, must the new username be used when accessing Autodesk licenses?

You should use your updated username when logging into any Autodesk portal, or your original email address.

• Where do I go to change my user name and what are the steps I must take?

Check out the step-by-step guide here or follow these steps:

1. Login to https://profile.autodesk.com
  2. Navigate to "My Profile and Settings”
  3. Select "Security”
  4. Click the pencil in the Username field. *
  5. Enter your chosen Username and Save. *

To see the change, you need to sign out and sign in again

*Please note that this may prompt you to sign in again before you are able to complete the edit and save.

• What's the difference between Autodesk Community Profile and profile.autodesk.com?

The Autodesk Community Profile is your unique identifier for asking questions, learning, and contributing on the Autodesk Community. This information is part of profile.autodesk.com.

Below this line FAQ questions were added 4/21/2023:

• If an user changes their username, will their badges / contributions be automatically assigned to their new username?
    • Yes, everything (post history, kudos, tags, roles, badges, etc.) – remains the same. Only the username is changed.
  • If a user changes their username, does their user ID remain the same?
    • Yes, user ID remains the same.
  • What will happen when someone searches on the previous username, e.g., @Anonymous? Will it find a record and display their archived profile and contributions?
    • Everything is updated with the new username, as if the previous username did not exist. For example, if @Anonymous is updated to @Anonymous, anywhere where @Anonymous was previously tagged will appear as @Anonymous, and any links will remain unbroken.
  • Will a user’s Community contributions automatically carry over to their new username?
    • Yes, the only thing that changes is how the username appears.
  • If a user changes their username and changes it back, and the system allows it, does that mean that they can continue using that username, or will it be changed on May 12?
    • If you have changed your username and then changed it back to the original username, and the system allowed it, then it was no longer a duplicate and it is available to be claimed. As long as it was accepted when you changed it back, it was available as the other owners of that name have changed theirs, and you may continue using it. We will no longer be requiring users to change their usernames by May 12th.  
  • What if I really do not want to change my username?
    • We will no longer be requiring users to change their usernames

Update 4/25/2023 8PM:

If you use Revit Worksharing (Cloud, local, or Revit Server) or non-workshared Revit Cloud
Models, changing your username may cause workflow failures. These include:
• Not being able to open models.
• Not being able to Sync with Central (for workshared models) or save a non-workshared
model to the cloud.
• Elements that cannot be modified by anyone because the elements are checked out to
the prior (and now unavailable) username.

Please refer to this article to determine the appropriate solution.

Update 4/28/20223 3PM PST:

If you are using Collaboration for AutoCAD Plant 3D, changing your username may cause issues
in the collaboration workflows as the new username will need time to take effect. You may
experience not being able to:
• Open a collaboration project from cloud if there is no local cache.
• Check in project settings that have been checked out.
• Check in files that have been checked out.

If you are experiencing these issues, please refer to the use cases here to determine the
appropriate solution.

Amanda Pruyn
Senior Program Manager, Community
88 REPLIES 88
Message 2 of 89
MarkGunnAutodesk
in reply to: amanda.k

Folks, if you have additional questions that are not covered by the FAQ above, please ask them here and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Message 3 of 89

My username was, until I just changed it, an exact match for my email address. Assuming nobody has been impersonating me, why would that not be unique - or are you for some reason not disclosed or explained simply asking everyone to choose a new username?
(I represent all users within my organisation and want to understand before I let them know to expect an email and to not treat it as a phishing campaign. I wish the email had at least linked to this forum thread because I had to Google to get here.)
Message 4 of 89
autocad

Ditto, I had to google it to land here and to understand what this was all about, thought it was a phish.  I never knew this Community exists until now, LOL.   Some of my users had been using their unique email address as username, can they keep using it?  (Something about special characters not being accepted in the username??)

Frankly, this whole thing was another example of very poor execution.  

Message 5 of 89
GerdBartholomes1

Hello,

this looks like a phishing mail!

The Autodesk communincation is a horror for every user.

I used my profile name for many years, it's, like for all old users that doesn't changed it, the e-mail address with wich the account was created.

My e-mail address is unique in the world!

Please give me a reason why I should change this unique name.

Another try of Autodesk kidding their users...

And at last, the question that wasn't answered in the FAQ

who's using my e-mail addess

Message 6 of 89
architects1

Hi,
I am confused by this. The email had all of the hallmarks of a phishing scam. (A link asking to login with my credentials and a seemingly spurious requst to update my details)
My username is unique - as far as I know no-one has my email

Has the community been hacked and our details leaked - is that why we need to change login details.

It all seems a bit wrong to me
I won't be changing my username without a better explaination iof what is going on

Message 7 of 89
David.Clayton

I've changed my username, and then been allowed to change it back to exactly what I had before? Does this mean that it is accepted as being unique and I can continue to use it after May 12th?

Also agree it would have been helpful to include a link to this page in the email that looks like a phishing scam!

Message 8 of 89
chriscowgill7373

How does this affect something like Autodesk Docs or Bim360?  Are not some files and access tracked through the user name? (I don't use Revit, but I hear local files are broken out by user name).

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 9 of 89
DRudaz
in reply to: chriscowgill7373

Exactly, I changed my ID and no longer possible to update or synchronize my Revit models. A message tells me that they are blocked with my old ID. I put my old ID back and everything is OK, so I wouldn't change it again.

Salutations,
Dominique

Autodesk Certified Instructor - Gold / Inventor Certified Professional

Message 10 of 89
dbroad

I tried to change my user name back to what it was before and it say it was already taken.  I searched the users and there were 4 other users, each with either 3 or fewer posts, likely being misinterpreted by the system as being not from me.  Can you just delete those so-called users so I can change my user name to what it's been for the last 30 years?

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 11 of 89
sturner7277

The email link is blocked by my organizations firewalls. Because they are not HTTPS aka not secure. Not even a message in our community profile. Just a phish type email and a banner at the top of the community pages. A post-it note on the office fridge would be just as effective. 🙄

WHY? WHY must some of us change our usenames? I like others have used the same one for 20 odd years. Survived the painful fourm changover from years ago. If changing the username breaks sync @DRudaz what will it do to my adsk account access for adding/removing users, managing deployments online(another poorly executed decision) from my organizations subscriptions?

Did the system get hacked and adsk won't tell? Or is this another, make a change because some fool wants to make a change? Give us the real reason adsk, not just silence.

-Sean
------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a CAD Manager for a Civil Engineering firm...
Message 12 of 89
spybus
in reply to: GerdBartholomes1

It looks like there is an Archived Account with the same username. It was created in 2005. While it still works, here is the link to the user account search...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/user?q=g.bartholomes
Message 13 of 89
Steve_Johnson

Changed my name, then changed it back again. Presumably this will satisfy your algorithms.

The reason stated for doing this makes no sense to me. How would/could you allow duplicate user names? Wasn't there always a user name check?

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
Message 14 of 89
sturner7277
in reply to: spybus

Guess it's a leftover from the forum change? IDK. I have an archived version of my username from the same year.  Maybe this is the start of adsk cleaning up all the old problems with their products... 😂

Still don't see the need to change the username. Just delete the 18 year old archive.

-Sean
------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a CAD Manager for a Civil Engineering firm...
Message 15 of 89

OK, the one thing I really don't like is that the email says, "If you do not log in and update your username by Friday 12 May, your account will no longer be accessible."...period... That was the end of the sentence and paragraph. It doesn't say, "we will automatically send you a new unique username". It just sounds like it will be final and that "if you can't access your Autodesk stuff later, then too bad, we warned you".

Message 16 of 89
GerdBartholomes1
in reply to: spybus

yes, I' m gulty...
I posted this 18 years ago...
And I' m still the same guy doing the same job (supporting Autodesk customers)

btw. I started with AutoCAD 11, still using the same name 😉
Gerd
Message 17 of 89
douthett

I read over the communication and I’m still confused as I was before.

It doesn’t tell us how to change our username i.e. does it have to 8 characters long either a upper and lower case letters.  Does it require a number or symbols?

If we already try a name that is already used, will it alert us?

If we have unique identifier, why do we have to change?   Or can we change it and then change back to it?

If we’re using the default identifier that was assigned to us when we created our account, do we have to change it?

Message 18 of 89
daniel.klingspor

Post deleted. 

Message 19 of 89

Congrats on the history, Gerd.  Great to see others who enjoy it and have stuck with it.  I've got two accounts as well. One for my work email.  One for my personal use of AutoCAD.  I've been a user since the early '80s when it was just 'AutoCAD'. I started teaching Rel 10 in night classes at San Jacinto College in the late '80's.  I've been running the Engineering for a Fabrication company since the mid '90s.  I use lots of VBA and AutoLISP to keep everyone's productivity at a high level.
-Steven

Message 20 of 89
BillAllenSE

Done (but not without some grumbling under my breath).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report