Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skewed Corridor Sections

Skewed Corridor Sections

There are often times where the design of a road requires the corridor to stop at an angle other than that perpendicular to the baseline (i.e. at bridge locations).

Civil 3D currently has no way to skew a corridor region, and we must either stop the region short and fill in with feature lines, or extend the region beyond the skew line, extract the feature lines and trim. In either case, this results in an untidy corridor model.

It would be ideal to have an option to create a skewed corridor region. This can be partly achieved with a custom subassembly (see second image), but this is a bit of a hack, and does not actually skew the links at the desired skew angle (only the strings)

Skew Corridor 1.pngSkew Corridor 2.png

11 Comments
joantopo
Mentor

I quote your sentence:

"Civil 3D currently has no way to skew a corridor region"

And this?

ab.jpg.jpg

st.jpg

But I agree with you.... in my workflow is a tedius task  😉

doni49
Mentor

I'm with @joantopo,

Although it would be nice if there were a simpler way, I have been able to do this (albeit using a tedious workflow).

I created an alignment across the corridor representing the skewed end of the corridor.   Then the links within that range used conditionals to see if that alignment was found before the FL was to be placed.  If not, then it allowed the creation of the FL.  This resulted in a skewed ending.

joantopo
Mentor

A virtue or a powerful and useful utility about skewed corridor section would be also for this case: (setup custom subassembly).

Imagine that you have your main road (main alignment) and your entrance ramp alignment.

In this case, I must to create a setup corridor about the main road (with extra-width) to get its profile surface. Then I use this profile as the layout profile for my entrance ramp alignment.

Instead, if we were able to project skewed corridor sections (my setup custom subassembly) from the entrance ramp alignment to the main alignment (which is an offset target), we didn´t need that setup corridor.

The skewed angle would be according to the perpendicular to the offset target, this is the key.

callejatemoc
Contributor
snoyolar_ddscad
Advocate

VIDEO

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/article/76451

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoe_0QDay6E&feature=youtu.be

SIMON NOYOLA

Simon Noyola Rivero
Application Engineer
Down to Earth Technologies, Inc.
Autodesk Authorized Consultant
Subject Matter Expert Civil&Map 
Civil 3D Country kit  development
para: Mexico, Central America, Caribbean & Venezuela
https://www.youtube.com/user/snoyolar
KPerison
Collaborator

Yes, a thousand times yes!!!

How about an extra tab in the Corridor Properties dialog (similar to the Corridor Surface Boundary function) that would simply allow you to Draw a polyline boundary that will create a "Vertical Cut-Off" and terminate/trim out your corridor as a Hide or Show boundary.

No more 200 step work arounds, just start/continue your main road region before/past your skew point and .. Chop it off!!

or......

Skip the extra tab and add the option to enable your Corridor Surface Boundary as a "Vertical-Cut-off".

There, problem solved by a simple check box. 🙂

joantopo
Mentor

In my opinion, Civil 3D should have capabilities to cut a subassembly and regenerate the correct for the corridor section.

Don´t confuse offset target with cutting a subassembly.

For example, imagine if a polyline or FL crosses trhough a complex subassembly such as a curb and gutter. 

Currently, civil+plus with SaS (Subassembly Studio) can do this with its subassemblies.

TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

This idea is under consideration for a future version of Civil 3D. Please visit the Autodesk Civil Infrastructure Product Roadmap for details and to vote for this idea to indicate its importance relative to other items that are under consideration.

alan676415
Enthusiast

Hallo,

Corridor Frequency running perpendicular only, if Autodesk can provide hide option like in the surface or provide a "clip" option is better.

Regards

Thomas Benhur

alan676415
Enthusiast

Please try to get an option that Hide or Clip Corridor partially in the inclined angle.

This will be a better option to work with Bridge.

Regards

Thomas Benhur

alan676415_0-1674043378165.png

TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

This idea is under consideration for a future version of Civil 3D. Please visit the Autodesk Civil Infrastructure Product Roadmap for details and to vote for this idea to indicate its importance relative to other items that are under consideration.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report