Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset Alignment - add "Curve" transition for widening

Offset Alignment - add "Curve" transition for widening

I use offset alignments often for my designs. But I find the lack of a "curve" transition type frustrating.
It seems the transition types were more designed with straight roads in mind. The current transition types work fine for straight road scenarios, but they don't work well when you want to carry and transition around a corner. All I need is a "curve" transition type.

I can get close to the design I need with the "curve-line-curve" type, but it is never correct because there is always a straight line in the curve that is not possible to remove.  I usually have to set my offset alignments to Static rather than Dynamic to finish my designs, which defeats the point of having dynamic design.

Please add a Curve transition type.

m_kingdon_1-1718232394709.png

m_kingdon_0-1718232359629.png

4 Comments
m_kingdon
Advisor

It would look something like this:

m_kingdon_0-1718233220817.png

doni49
Mentor

I think you'd still need the Transition Length (you've got it crossed out) but otherwise, it could be helpful.

m_kingdon
Advisor

This type of transition might end up being a line-curve-line.  I think a line at either end might be required to allow Civil 3D to generate a tangential curve.  Either way, Offset widening is not usable in its current form when trying to carry transitions around a corner.

r_griffith
Contributor

There is a sort-of workaround for this. In the settings, you can edit how many straits are used for the widening in a curve. Standard it's set to 3, but you can edit it to 20, or 50 so the curve becomes smooth (althoug it technacally still segmented) 

In the image below, the left is as the standard settings, the right is altered to 20. That only works for new widenings. It cannot be ajusted afterwards.

widening settings 2.png

b7f1db79-81a6-4a03-a4e5-f824b270d9fc.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report