Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export a linetype.....

Export a linetype.....

This issue is related to AutoCAD core.  But there is no IdeaStation for core so I'm posting here.

Over the years, I've had many occasions where someone had deleted the linetype definition file so I was no longer able to load a linetype that way but I still have a dwg file that uses the linetype.  

I'd love to be able to export the linetype(s) out to a linetype.lin file.

6 Comments
J-Porter
Advocate

I agree with this request.  There are many times I've run into where the linetype file no longer exists or the user got the drawing from someone else.  However, I cannot use the same linetype elsewhere without trying to recode it.  

doni49
Mentor

@J-Porter ,

A tolerable work-around that I use:  I keep a dwg file that has nothing but the offending linetype in it.  When I need to use the linetype, I use the Design Center to copy it into the active dwg file.  But that's still more complicated than it needs to be -- I want to export the linetype to an lin file.

p.s. rather than ONLY exporting to a new file, allow the option to append to an existing file.

J-Porter
Advocate

@doni49, that's a very reasonable workaround.  I actually like it.  My dilemma comes from our rogue users who have obtained linetypes from everywhere and add them to their system without my knowledge.  Then they come to me when we upgrade to a new release and they cannot remember where they stored their linetype. 

doni49
Mentor

@J-Porter, I get the dilemna.  I've been there and it's frustrating.

ChrisRS
Mentor

I have encountered this several times in the past.

Google saved me each time because I was forgetful and disorganized.

1. This is a core AutoCAD issue, not a Civil 3D issue.
    (I know this is the default location to post because there is no AutoCAD Ideas forum.)
  2. There are Lisp routines that do this.
    Here is a link to a post that recommends "LinOut" and refers to a few others.
        Link: How to: Export AutoCAD Linetype to .LIN File | CADnotes (cad-notes.com)
  3. This would be a good candidate for "Express Tools."
  4. "LinOut" and others are workarounds.
    1. The existence of workarounds appears to disincentive Autodesk from creating better workflows.
    2. This issue is low on my prioritized AutoCAD/Civil 3D wish list. 

End of Rant!

I hope the link helps.

TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

I'll share this with the AutoCAD team. You could also consider using the reference template functionality to attach a DWG that has the linetype in it to the DWG you want to add it to, promote the linetype, then detach the referenced DWG.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report