Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angels in Corridors

Angels in Corridors

It would be nice, if the corners of the corridor could be right angled over the Corridor Bowties in the corners towards the outside (see the Picture).

(Sorry for my english 🙃)

10 Comments
f_furger
Advocate

*Angles in Corridors*

ChrisRS
Mentor

I agree, that bowtie cleanup needs improvement.

I do think that Angels in the corridors could be interesting.

It does seem to be seasonally appropriate. 

image.png

philipp.iseli
Explorer

Yes, I fully agree. This is a missing part for corridors with slope.

bcsurvey
Collaborator

Hmmm, this would be a challenge considering how corridors are driven.  IE a right angled corridor bend using a corridor that generates frequencies (x-sections) at right angles is logistically flawed.  My approach would be to generate a feature line "A" from centerline vertex out to the NW corner of proposed corridor (as you show it) with desired elevations you'd have to calculate.  Then run 2 more baselines (feature lines w/calc'd elevations) along the outter legs of the "triangle" which target this feature line "A" horizontally and vertically.  You'd probably want to create another feature line w/calc'd elvs from the cl vertex to the interior corner of corridor, which you could target with the primary centerline baseline.

TimYarris
Autodesk

This was implemented in Civil 3D 2020.4 Update:

Capture.PNG

TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

bcsurvey
Collaborator

. . . and the station-offset at the northwesterly-most corner iiissssss . . . ?????  There are 3 frequencies emanating from one location on baseline . . . I think Autodesk has allowed the mechanical or architectural mentality to infringe on conceptual approaches to changes or additions within CIVIL 3D . . . Corridors are used for "extruding" sections along a baseline, not for generating right-of-way, easement, or tract lines, which is about all that the 90-degree ability can accomplish.  There may be applications I'm unaware of that could use this safely, but the civil realm involves station and offsets at some point in the pipeline.  Also, corners are usually points of interest for the vertical design portion of projects.  Not sure how you work with 3 frequencies coming from one point on a baseline. 

BTW the 2020.4 update corrupted my installation;  I used the desktop app, which I've learned is a likely culprit.  Eventually had to wipe hard drive as there were "phantom" installations of various 2020 Autodesk products that our IT guy could not track down.

f_furger
Advocate

Hello @TimYarris 

First of all, thank you very much for the fast processing of my idea! I have tested the whole thing and it works really great! There is only one small point that needs to be fixed so that the function is perfect.
As soon as you use a slope at an outer corner of a cross section, the corridor is "beveled" again - but without a slope it works perfectly!

wrong.png

I tried the following workaround and it worked:

I created a cross-section without a slope on the right (in my example) and then extracted an automated feature line from the existing corridor. Using this feature line, I created a new 3D profile body with a cross section (slope on the right). Then it works as it should. If this functionality could be integrated, that the outer corners also work with the embankments, then I am completely satisfied.

correct.png

PS: With the inner corners it looks logically wrong at the beginning, but with the arc guide correction you can correct it!

About a feedback I would be very grateful to you.

Thank you for your effort and kind regards from Switzerland

Flurin

TimYarris
Autodesk

@f_furger , you quickly identified a known deficiency (and our recommended workaround) in this resolution. For varying width subassemblies (such as daylights), we recommend extracting the feature line and adding it as a baseline for the daylight as you describe. We're researching a number of ways in which we can automate corridor creation and editing; your requested next steps certainly fit into that research. We'll keep working on this one, but I'm happy it is close to almost resolving your issue.

f_furger
Advocate

@TimYarris Thank you very much for your feedback. Let's hope the problem can still be solved! 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report