Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle Tracking: truck and dog?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
autoMick
9703 Views, 11 Replies

Vehicle Tracking: truck and dog?

Hi,

As one of those random things that pops up from time to time, I need to consider the ability to maneuver trucks at a number of potential earthwork sites. I downloaded the Vehicle Tracking extension (trial) and have it working with my IDSP 2018 installation.

Specifically I want to look at a 'typical' truck and dog trailer combo - see pic attached. I thought this would be pretty common vehicle but couldn't find a good match in the vehicle library. I did find this:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vehicle-tracking/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl... indicates that the question has probably been asked before.

I'm sure it's not as confusing as it seems at first glace, but as I'm not really looking to invest a heap of time in this I was hoping that either someone has done exactly what I'm after and would be willing to post the vehicle or maybe a quick screencast to modify a vehicle?

Thanks

Mick

Capture.PNG

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Neilw_05
in reply to: autoMick

Personally I've never heard of a "dog trailer" designed exclusively for dogs. Thus I doubt you'll find a pre-configured "dog" trailer. I could be wrong. I think you'll need to create a custom trailer. Pick one of the existing trailers and add it to your vehicle, then tweak the parameters after. 

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 12
autoMick
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks Neil, Maybe it's just an Aussie term. I think the pic shows what I'm talking about: Rigid body dump truck with a trailer on a long drawbar (the trailer is jack-knifed to allow the rigid truck to dump its load). I'm not sure how to add a trailer from one vehicle, onto another. I understand the idea is to edit a copy of the vehicle as part of the drawing pool, but I'm having trouble mixing and matching.

Cheers

Mick

Message 4 of 12
Neilw_05

That is so funny! The image you posted didn't show for me so I couldn't see what you were talking about. I visualized a dog kennel on wheels!

Anyway I'm new to AVT but I've learned how to link 2 vehicles using drag and drop. Basically you place the lead vehicle in your pool and then drag the towed vehicle onto it. The software links the 2 for you. I added a small SUV to a Big Rig RV for example. In my case I had to manually toggle on one of the settings to make the RV a tow vehicle. After that they linked. I also had to tweak the length of the tow bar afterwards. 

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 12
autoMick
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hah! Or maybe one of those little pet wash trailers. I can imagine dragging that around the construction site seeing if anyone had a lapdog that needed grooming.

Seriously, thanks for the tip, I'll experiment more.

Cheers

Mick

Message 6 of 12
Jowennl

Hi Mick,

Please see attached _Aussie-Additional-Vehicle.Zip. You need to unzip and copy the _Aussie-Additional-Vehicle.ATL to C:\Users\<<YourUser>>\Documents\My Vehicle Tracking Data\Library

Please use this as a guide only. Check and amend them to suit your T&D specification like radius as I believe 12.5m radius is the common one. For more info about AVT library please visit this <Link> 

For how to load them and edit please see attached animated gif.

Esc to Pause / F5 or refresh to playEsc to Pause / F5 or refresh to playTruck and dog (similar to this)Truck and dog (similar to this)

Cheers,

Jowenn

Message 7 of 12
jeff_rivers

Interesting term.  Where I work (Continental US, pacific northwest) the trailer is called a pup-trailer, so the whole thing (truck + trailer) is a dump truck with pup trailer, or just dump w/ pup.

The drawbar is adjustable, for reasons I am not 100% sure of (I called a couple manufacturers to get exact measurements to program my own custom vehicle, and they replied that it has to do with roadway & bridge load ratings - for heavier loads the driver extends the drawbar to spread the axle loading out more).  So if you build a custom vehicle for vehicle tracking, consider making two: One w/ drawbar fully retracted, one w/ drawbar fully extended. 

Or just assume worst case, and model it w/ drawbar fully extended. 

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 8 of 12
autoMick
in reply to: jeff_rivers

@jeff_rivers maybe our dogs are bigger than your pups? Good point regarding the drawbar length. Thanks

@Jowennl thanks heaps for putting that together - I was able to load and use that. I'm slowly getting the hang of the editing side now. I think it's now it's mainly a matter of getting the right specs.

BTW - interesting trying to reverse these in ATV. Not sure if there's other settings that need to be adjusted here.

Cheers

Mick

Message 9 of 12
johnbarrus

That's interesting.  I've heard it referred to as a pup trailer.

@autoMick wrote:

Thanks Neil, Maybe it's just an Aussie term.

Message 10 of 12
autoMick
in reply to: johnbarrus

and a trailer with four axles is a 'quad dog'

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Jowennl

Thank you so much for your help!!! Legend! 

Message 12 of 12
charlieBRS
in reply to: Jowennl

You've gone to some effort here, thank you mate, really appreciate it

Regards

Charlie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report