Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface legend table

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
3032 Views, 13 Replies

Surface legend table

Hello.

I want to put in a surface legend table the description or the name of a surface. I have created a new column but in the properties list of the text component editor the surface description doesen't appear. I'm using Autocad Civil 3D 2015. If you know the solution please help me i need to solve this problem really quick.

Thank you very much.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Jeff_M
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the forums! Unfortunately, I don't think that adding the surface name/description to the table is currently possible.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks for your answer. I have been tried to solve this problem for al lot of time. I think that adding the surface name in surface lagend table is verry usefull especialy when you have to print some official documents which contain multiple surfaces in the same page.

Message 4 of 14
neilyj666

It would be very useful to do this but unfortunately what Autodesk give and what the customer wants are sometimes a long way apart...!!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Manually adding <[Name(CP)}> produces an interesting result.......sadly, not far enough, though, I don't think.  Maybe someone else might find that useful in formulating a solution?

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

So if adding surface names to legend tables is not possible, would calculations be a bigger stretch of the imagination? thanks,
Message 7 of 14
Civil3DReminders_com

It wouldn't be a stretch, but that goes agains Autodesk's strategy of Civil 3D. The idea is Autodesk provides the basic functionality and then third parties are supposed to fill any custom requirements. So through the Civil 3D API a custom program could be used to calculate the information in the format you require. Unfortunately in my experience most people don't want to do the work of fulfilling their needs and instead wait for Autodesk to do the calculations. 

What type of calculations do you need? I've done some stuff in the past and might spiffy it up and post it in the App store. If not there might also be some stuff already created that might meet your needs.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Civil3DReminders_com

First, thank you for your response!

Second, it's a simple calculation really. I need the table to show a
percentage of the total area for each slope area. I am able to define the
minimum and maximum %, so the table looks like this without the calculation
being performed:

STEEP SLOPE CALCULATION
BASE SITE AREA = 181.5 AC.

*COLOR MINIMUM MAXIMUM % ACRES*

1 8.00% 15.00% 39.6 / 181.5 39.6
2 15.00% 25.00% 7.8 / 181.5 7.8
3 25.00% 100.00% 3.0 / 181.5 3.0

So you see, the values for % column should be:

which I've added as MTEXT and left the data column in the table blank, with
just the heading of "%" to hold the space.

*NOTE: The colors 1, 2, & 3 above are actually squares containing the
colors

Thanks again very much!
Paula Armstrong
Metz Engineers
410 Destine Avenue
Lansdale, PA
Message 9 of 14
Civil3DReminders_com

Unfortunately I don't have this one and don't really have a motivation to create the command at the moment.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 10 of 14
autoMick

There seems to be some good ideas in this thread:

1. Add the functionality to access the surface name field from within the legend table
  2. Allow calculated columns within the surface legend table; and
  3. (and old wish of mine - which I just put up)... Provide a function to create totals (or maybe some other simple stats - average, etc.), or even better - custom functions at the bottom of selected columns. See. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/ability-to-produce-totals-and-other-funct...

I'd encourage you guys to post your ideas for 1 and 2 here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/idb-p/31

(click on the New Idea button to create a post)

I'd do it, but it's your idea!

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 11 of 14
sirjoelsph
in reply to: autoMick

While complex calculations are not possible, you can add another row to the end of your tables and set the range to the entire range of the surface analysis for a total.  Here is a quick example showing a range of cut and fills and the total range as the 11th row.  You would still more than likely need some manual text to be able to label this appropriately, but the start of the idea is possible.

Table Total.PNG

-JOEL
Message 12 of 14
autoMick
in reply to: sirjoelsph

Thankyou Sir Joel - I hadn't thought of that. Not the most elegant of solutions, but it is an option. 

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 13 of 14
Buzz0m

EDIT SORRY SORRY SORRY... just realized this was already posted as an option... my bad

//////////////

Hi,

I haven't tested in civil 2017 or 2018 but there might be a workaround. There isn't an option to include the surface name from a dropdown menu (in the editor), but the tags still work to some degree. If the user uses the tag <[Name(CP)]> in eg. the table header section the tag shows up as some kind of numerical ID of the surface. Maybe the user can by tweaking the code get the actual surface name to show up...I? I don't know how, but maybe somebody else knows what the "(CP)" -string in the tag does... maybe it can be converted with some additional string to make the name show up...? @neilyj666 do you have any ideas regarding this?

surface legend table 1.PNG

Message 14 of 14
Buzz12345
in reply to: Buzz0m

Bump!

It'd be nice to have this capability. 

I thought I might have a workaround when I noticed that Surface legend table appears on the Drawing Settings, Object Layers list - so as the surface table is created it is placed on a layer with the surface name.  Unfortunately the * wildcard in the value field doesn't pick up anything.

Any other ideas?

Michael
AEC Collection - Civil3D 2023 & Infraworks 2023
www.foxsurvey.co.nz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report