Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static Text in dynamic labels

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mramazanov
486 Views, 7 Replies

Static Text in dynamic labels

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if there's a functionality in AutoCAD/Civil3D where I can have a label with both static and dynamic text?

I have a drawing where I used labels to annotate alignment stations and offsets at various points. I then manually entered static text into the label to annotate which object I'm calling out the station and offset of. The issue that I'm running into is that if I want to change the style of a label (station and offset, dynamic parts), the manually entered static text disappears as it is not part of the label style. Is there a way to change a label style without erasing the manually entered static text? I tried messing around with label text components but it seems like that doesn't solve my issue.

My alternative is to use a multileader for the static text and leave only dynamic text in the label, but that makes for 2 separate annotations that I have to put together "by eye" and it usually doesn't look good, has gaps, or is misaligned. Maybe there's a way to attach a multileader and label to move together as one entity? (not talking about the group command because that is no help)

Thanks in advance for the tips. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RobertEVs
in reply to: mramazanov

How about manual edit of selected labels? This will not effect other labels/styles. If I just want a few custom label text objects I go this route

LAbels.png

Message 3 of 8
mramazanov
in reply to: RobertEVs

If I manually edit the label text and then decide to change the label style/format to a different one, my manually written-in text will disappear.

Message 4 of 8
mramazanov

Example:
I have a Label style that annotates station and offset. It appears like this:

-
STA: 123+45.67
OFF: 21.73' R
-

This label is pointing to a utility pole. I want to annotate that, so I right-click the label, edit label text, and write in "existing utility pole"
The label now reads this:

-
EXISTING UTILITY POLE
STA: 123+45.67
OFF: 21.73' R
-
If I then decide that I want the station and offset to be shown differently, I'd change the label style but the text would disappear as it is not part of the label style. I want to be able to change the label style and retain the manually written-in text
Hope that made sense

Message 5 of 8
dougnorton

It almost sounds like more work to do it this way, but I create separate label styles for each utility, and have even made a couple to call out 'Begin Construction' and 'End Construction' points.  That way, editing the styles doesn't cause the issues you're coming across. Then the big pain comes when higher ups want label styles to look different still, and then you have 5 styles to edit instead of 1.   Pick your poison?

Best to you, and Happy New Year to all.

Message 6 of 8
rl_jackson

Setup is required here, but I have used this for several years with success, however it would require a 3-party application. This works with tables as well, so the data/object links are dynamic, if you need additional I'm sure @Jeff_M could get you going.

HTH

Dynamic Links (quuxsoft.com)

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
Neilw_05
in reply to: RobertEVs

Have you looked at property sets? I haven't used them but I believe they can be incorporated into labels. The workflow would be to add your custom label content into a property set which would then be a stable component of the style.

It may require you to place a block or some other object which can be assigned a property. A utility pole block would be an ideal case. There may be limitations for this workflow when labeling xrefs.

If you want the labels to identify common geometry points such as back curb, end curb, etc., some will just create child styles with those prefixes/suffixes and apply as needed. Any edits to the parent (i.e. text style) get propagated to the subs.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup

Could you post a drawing with a sample of what you're working with? I'd like to try to change the Label Style in a couple of ways. Also. What are you changing in the Label Style. Just the font or other Aspects as well.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report