Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sites and Grading Groups

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
itsnathanblake
942 Views, 6 Replies

Sites and Grading Groups

Hi guys,

I am currently creating a large amount of basins for a development site which is easy enough, but I want to be able to create a tin surface for each of these to get a precise vol (m3)

I know sites make gradings interact with one another but do grading groups make the surfaces all interact as well - as I only want the one surface to be selected when I'm selecting then

Just dont wanna go down a rabbit hole and then figure out I could start another way, cheers

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: itsnathanblake

Make a single design surface, but outline each sub-area with a polyline. Inside Volumes Dashboard, after creating the new Volume Surface, add a Bounded Volume using each of the polylines.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
Neilw_05

In addition to Tim's suggestion you have a couple of other options:

1: create a grading group for each basin and toggle on automatic surface creation. You will get a surface for each basin. Then add them all up using the Volumes Dashboard

2. Put them all in a separate site and use one grading group for all. Each basin will form it's own boundary if you use gradings and infills to create them. The TIN surface formed by all the basins will be blank between the basins (Unless you add an Infill or have other objects on the same site in between). Thus you can get a volume for all the basins from the one surface. I think this is how it will go anyway.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 7
itsnathanblake
in reply to: Neilw_05

I've created different sites for each basin and tried to use the same grading group but for some reason when I change the site it makes the grading group disappear and I cannot select it?

itsnathanblake_0-1638441533786.png

itsnathanblake_1-1638441547219.png

Message 5 of 7
Joe-Bouza

😮

yup ... Gradings can be finicky. 

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Neilw_05

No need to make a site for each basin. They can all be in one site, one group. Just don't have anything else on the same site in between the basins if you want to use option 2 of my suggestions.

It may be too late to salvage your work if the gradings got corrupted when you changed their sites. Make sure you run Recover and Audit until thoroughly clean and check for any remnants from the corrupted gradings.

FYI, you can change gradings to different groups in case you weren't aware. Not saying it would have helped here, but it might going forward.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 7 of 7
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

I don't know if this would have helped, but you can move grading groups to different sites in the prospector. That would be my choice vs. selecting the objects and changing the sites that way.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report