Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is PURGE command very slow?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
jeff_rivers
4173 Views, 16 Replies

Why is PURGE command very slow?

Lately I've noticed that the PURGE command is very slow.  When I invoke the command there's about a 45-second delay before the dialog box appears.  When I select items to purge and hit OK, the spinning wheel appears for one to two minutes before completing the command.

This is the same whether I'm in a production drawing with lots of layers, xrefs, and objects; or if I'm in a nearly empty drawing with just a couple lines (and no extra styles or layers from my template-- just a few entities).  

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
tmachado
in reply to: jeff_rivers

Hi @jeff_rivers, Does it makes any difference is you use the _PURGE command from the command line?

Hope this will help!

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the LIKES button

Tatiana Machado
BIM Manager/ Autodesk Certified Instructor
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
InfraWorks Ambassador

Message 3 of 17
ITandCADguy
in reply to: tmachado

Have you tried the -PURGE command with the Regapps option?

I've also see slow performance when there are a lot of annotation scales present in the drawing.

Message 4 of 17
jeff_rivers

Hi Tatiana, I just tried, and it is still slow using '-purge' and also '_purge' at the command line.  -purge is the way I normally invoke the command.  

Jeffrey Rivers
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 5 of 17
jeff_rivers
in reply to: ITandCADguy

I've deleted a lot of unneeded annotative scales, and also purged all unneeded regapps, with no change in how long it takes for the purge command to work.  

Jeffrey Rivers
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 6 of 17
tmachado

How big is your file?

how many objects do you have on them?

When I run the _PURGE command I only look for...

2017-06-19 14_54_59-ADSK Forums - tmachado@ddscad.com - Outlook.png

and I run it together with an AUDIT making sure that ran this command as many time is needed it until it returns

2017-06-19 14_57_57-Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018 - [Drawing2.dwg].png

Hope this will help!

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the LIKES button

Tatiana Machado
InfraWorks Ambassador

Message 7 of 17
jeff_rivers

The most recent file I tried contains four entities wblocked out from a larger drawing.  The file with the four entities is 1,200 Kb per Windows explorer.  Audit reports zero errors found, zero fixed.  

The four entities are polylines on layer zero.  They vary in length from 75 units to 150 units or so.  

I started a new, empty drawing using 'New drawing, open with no template' and received the same results: Unusually long purge time.  

Jeffrey Rivers
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 8 of 17
tmachado

Ok, so you created a new drawing that you xrefs your files to, and you get the same result?

Hope this will help!

Tatiana Machado
InfraWorks Ambassador

Message 9 of 17
comoth

I'm having the same problem, but only on one specific project, so it's not my system. Not only is the purge command extremely slow, so is Xref. Using 2015, I first suspected that is was a topography drawing from another firm using 2014, but now all the drawings in the project have issues, regardless of having xref's or not - even note sheets.

An audit finds no issues.

Any help would be appreciated!

Message 10 of 17
tmachado
in reply to: comoth

Please make sure that install this hotfix, no a lot of people are awarded of its existence...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

After installing this you will need to open every drawing and save it, so the fix can work

Hope this will help!

Tatiana Machado
InfraWorks Ambassador

Message 11 of 17
jeff_rivers

Thanks, I'll mention that to my CAD Administrator when he returns.  

Jeffrey Rivers
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 12 of 17
comoth

THANK YOU!! That worked. I wish I had found you a week ago... we lost a lot of time on this project!

Have a beer, on me. 🙂

Message 13 of 17
tmachado

It is my pleasure to help!

Please mark the correct answer as solution so others can find the answer faster

Hope this will help!

Tatiana Machado
InfraWorks Ambassador

Message 14 of 17
comoth

@tmachado wrote:

It is my pleasure to help!

Please mark the correct answer as solution so others can find the answer faster

I don't see an ACCEPT AS SOLUTION button, only a KUDO and Reply button.

Message 15 of 17
tmachado

my bad @comoth is because this is somebody else post

Hope this will help!

Tatiana Machado
InfraWorks Ambassador

Message 16 of 17
tmachado

My bad that is because this is someone else post

Hope this will help!

Tatiana Machado
InfraWorks Ambassador

Message 17 of 17
jreidCDS28

I know this is an old post but I just found out something that I wanted to share about PURGE.

Lately Purge All has been taking so long to run I had do see if others had the same issue.

I have always used a TAB Button to run -PURGE;ALL; but Mr. DYOUNG suggested to run -PURGE;R for Registry.

So I did only that command. WOW!!! File sizes are going from 5,776 KB down to 422 KB. My drawings are acting like it my laptop is a super computer!!! Zooming / Panning / around is like lighting!! I am so shocked!!! This drawing had 121,660 registered applications deleted. 

So Three things.

One I am just wondering why Purge All did not do the same thing? It says ALL.

Two I am wondering about the other many options that are listed (time consuming so have not tested them)

Three... everyone should try this!!   -PURGE;REG;   !!!!

Hope someone can give some in site as to why All don't do the complete job but mainly I hope this helps many others that have slow drawings.

Hope this helps many!!

JRR.

I do believe you will be shocked as well!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report