Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove the Line Code Descriptors from the Full Description.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
652 Views, 2 Replies

Remove the Line Code Descriptors from the Full Description.

I have looked on here and could not find anything on it.

Issue, the Default Linework Codes Set will leave the codes in the Full Point description.

Solution: Change the Default to something like . * + : ~ # @ $

These symbols seem to work just fine where the letters stay in the description. I do not have an explanation as to why it works, I just know it does.

Example of my Description Keys:

2018-06-22_15-17-17.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rl_jackson
in reply to: Anonymous

Well sir I certainly would not want to tell my field crews to start using none standard hieroglyphics for coding linework.

The problem here is your using description keys for something they are not intend for. DK's are for symbols only, In your list I see a bunch of codes for linework that belong in the figure prefix database not the DK list and only 2 symbol codes Benchmark & Bollard. This is due to trying to control point visibility with layers when you should be controlling the visibility of points with Point Groups utilizing a NO DISPLAY point group that has the point and label style set to NONE.

point groups.png

Now if I need to have certain points visible then I'll move that particular group above the _No Display group in the point groups properties which is accessed by right-clicking the Point Groups heading.point group properties.png

If I move want to view Concrete points for instance, I will select it and use the arrows (up) to move it above _No Display Group or I'll move the _No Display Group depending on the situation.

This method of controlling points allows me to run C3D with only one layer for points V-NODE which captures all point data that does not have a symbol code associated with it. So if I have EP or EC or BLD they go on layer V-NODE but if I have a MHSS or SV they go to the layer SANITARY, and are represented by there symbol only (which is in the legend) and don't have a point label style for there description.DK.png

So as you can see I have many point styles for the various items located in the field that require a symbol and as you can see all those symbols go to a layer relating to there particular utility or function, and no points are coded to do linework are in the Description Key list. But I can still draw a UGT line to a MHT as long as the raw description is MHT UGT1 E UGT2 B, but since I don't need all the information leave it at default in the list and see just my Telephone Manhole symbol, but the line will end and another will still begin at the symbol.

Now I'm sure that the company your at was using LDD and that was probably how they did things then but now where playing with a completely different animal in C3D and sometimes there are better more efficient ways of handling data without creating 50 different layers for points that are completely unnecessary.

OK I'm finished with my rant, I actually hope it helps out, I know I'm more efficient and as you can see where my _No Display group is on the point groups in the list, I almost never need to view anything below it assuming it gets coded correctly...

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: rl_jackson

Rick, where do I start? I love it when guys like you profess to know EVERYTHING about a program and not even bother to think that there might be others out there who might need or want to program the software to function in a different format then what YOU profess is the best way to set it up.

Now that the tune of this post is set, let me share a little insight as to where your programming knowledge is lacking, and you my little buddy should really be sure you know what you are talking about before you do your best to school someone:

1. You state that Description Keys are not for Line work. I never mentioned that they are for linework, you said that. However, Description Keys are exactly where you program in HOW you want your line code and field coding to function/position, in other words, start, stop, curve, move position of a word, etc. You can read all about this in the help file if you like.  

My coding that you seem so eager to put down allows for several options to occur at one point and offers a heck of a lot more flexibility within the program then your stock setup ever will.

I think I will stick with my coding because I LIKE the way it reads and so does my client.

2. You stated that the coding for Line work belong in the FPD, although this is quite true, I do not recall even mentioning that it wasn't. An who's to say I haven't customized the heck out of my codes so that all of my Lines have their own styles so that they can be control individually or as a group, it's just mind blowing when you get out of box you put yourself in. 

3. You state that I am trying to control my points with layers. You are very observant and I give you a C for effort.

But let me ask you something, what do your clients that need your base survey do when they want to display say all of the Utility Points with Descriptions (and I do not want to see your stops and start now) and say also the Road Shots the same way when they do NOT have C3D?

Hows your one layer Node theory holding up now? Yah, I think I will stick with my few layers.

You and I both are here because of one thing, we want to help folks, but when you post on someones post, make sure you know what your talking about, do your homework, it only take a few minutes to verify what your saying is true or not, and your post is really lacking here on the ORIGINAL subject, and do we remember what that was?

How to REMOVE the Line Code Description Keys.

Not how to properly Program the Description Keys.

Now if you wanted to offer something useful to the post; I would have loved to have heard how you ran a test and your Line Code descriptions did not show up with alpha coding. Because it really should work with Alpha Coding, it is just not on my 2016 version.

I just wanted you know, there are folks out here who just might do things a little differently then you do.

I have worked with surveyors all over the US and Canada, and one thing that I can tell you is this...

Nothing is constant in surveying except the math.

Hope that you go back and take anther look at the Description Keys functionality, who knows you might learn something new and exciting and stay out of the way of those of us who are only trying to help folks who think a little differently then you, and might have the same issue that I was having when I wrote the original post.

Now I know that you and some others out here are going to say play nice, to that I say:

Just read the back 1st ladies jacket.

Com'on, that was worth a chuckle.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report