Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAP3D DATA TABLE AND EXCEL DATA

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Joe-Bouza
793 Views, 17 Replies

MAP3D DATA TABLE AND EXCEL DATA

I have a shp file for pipe less the inverts. I have excel with the inverts. Other than hand entry how can I get these data together?

Maybe I am dreaming but I imaging I could make a table in Map connect to excel and then merge the tabels.

Dreaming?

JoeBouza_0-1706564790583.png

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Labels (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Pointdump
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joe,
If you have a common field you can >>>Create a Join<<<. If not you're hosed.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 18
ChicagoLooper

@Joe-Bouza

To answer your question...... Yes, you can.....but it might not return the results you really want..

Examine the three pairs of numbers below, i.e., purple pair, blue pair and the red pair. Those paired numbers can serve as a KEY that will 'link' a green record with a white record. In effect, a green Excel row can correspond to a white one when the key matches in both the Excel file and the database file.

<<A row is considered a record while a column is considered an attribute.>>

101.png

It might not work in all cases because the length may not serve the purpose you want. What does that mean? It means AutoCAD might get confused if the KEY appears multiple times. For example, the purple pair is 221. That value 221 also appears again at the Orange Arrow. So where should the Excel value 12" go? Should it go to (a) top white row, (b) white row with orange arrow, or (c) both purple and orange in the white table?

In another case it might be appropriate. For example, if you wanted to link all homeowners on a specific street to be alerted when their water is shutoff due to a repair job then multiple identification (such as all homes on Maple St.) is good.

From a practical point of view, it seems unlikely length work because 'length' is shaky. Why is it shaky? Because there could be several instances where length is 221 feet but not all of those specific pipe lengths will correspond to 12" diameter.

Could you find or create a better KEY to make the Excel and database relate to one another?

Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 18
fcernst

Looks like you can use Start and Inoffset..

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 18
fcernst
in reply to: fcernst

The fields don’t have to have the same name.. just the same data

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 18
fcernst

Send the files.. let’s do this for exercise and learning..

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 18
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Sorry I didn’t mean to waste your time I missed a corresponding cell NAME is the same in each table 

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi Dave

That’s exactly bwhat I want and what I have, but does FDO connect to the excel?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 18
fcernst

You’re frustrating.. because you have a tendency to not typically share all what you have for people to help you..

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 18
Pointdump

Hi Joe,
"...FDO connect to the excel?"
Map 3D will with an ODBC connection. Like >>>This<<<.

QGIS will do this directly and easily.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 11 of 18
ChicagoLooper

@Joe-Bouza 

<<...does FDO connect to the excel?>>

No, it doesn't connect per se.

AutoCAD will use a Windows thingy called an ODBC. This Windows thang is the mechanism that allows Microsoft and Autodesk to communicate. Without an ODBC that data won't move from one to the other cuz they won't be able to see each other's business. No not that kind of business, data business.

On top of that, your data must have a KEY that links both files. For example, you may have an existing homeowner list compiled by the Tax Assessor. The assessor used his data to create a shapefile with owner name, street address, parcel PIN, square footage, tax rate, and tax amount. You also have a second list containing names, home addresses and phone numbers from the local school district. 

You may link the phone numbers with each resident using the street address because the address appears in both lists. You are fairly confident it will work because it's unlikely two homes will have the same phone number. If, however, your data was jacked with specifics, maybe if both lists contained parcel PINs, then you'd be extremely confident since every home has a 'unique' PIN. Y'know some homeowners might not have a phone (or have a very private number, Hollywood style). 

An ODBC would be able to LINK Autocad Data to an external file such as one in Excel or Access format. 

If you really want the ODBC driver, you can read about and download the Microsoft database engine >>HERE<<

ODBC info from Autodesk.ODBC info from Autodesk.

If you work in a firm with an IT department that values security, you might not be able to install the driver without their consent. In some firms you cannot install a mouse driver or a new font without putting in a ticket with IT. Even worse is installing the ODBC driver itself......it's a BEAR and appears to require some IT-geeky-know-how in order to wade through the security stuff. Be forewarned. 

Chicagolooper
Message 12 of 18
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Pointdump

I get to this point but there is no opportunity to choose an excel file. The video flashes by that step and is mysteriously connected to MyCity yada yada.

what di I miss?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 13 of 18
Joe-Bouza

The original provider updated the shp so the inverts are in

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 14 of 18
ChicagoLooper

OK, that's great.

Two questions:

1. Did you successfully install the driver named Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable? This is mandatory if you want to create what's known as a 'join' in GISland. The driver connects an AutoCAD drawing that has shapefile data with a properly formatted external file such as Excel.
  2. Do you have KEY data? This is tabular data that's common to both files. 

Would it be possible to upload screenshots of your Excel file and the shapefile database Table View? Screenshots can go a long way in developing step-by-step instructions that can be posted in forum. When taking screenshots, go W-I-D-E, include the column headings and several data rows. The more headings and columns you capture in the screenshot the better. Alternatively, upload your shapefile and your Excel sheet.

Chicagolooper
Message 15 of 18
fcernst

waste of time

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 18

Perhaps an example of data would be able to find solutions.

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 17 of 18

Thanks but I’m done with this.

privider gave me a new file

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 18 of 18
Joe-Bouza

I sent you a PM but that was done

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report