Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KMZ file to CAD

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
12411 Views, 18 Replies

KMZ file to CAD

I am trying to bring a KMZ file from Google Earth into AutoCAD.  I can convert the KMZ to a shapefile through a seperate program, the problem I am having is that AutoCAD doesn't seem to recognize the coordinate system and convert it correctly to the state plan coordinate system I am working in.  I am not opposed to utilizing a different coordinate system in my drawing, all I really need is to be able to bring in background Bing aerials.  What coordinate system is best suited for interfacing with Google Earth?  I would like to be able to export to KMZ/KML in the future as well. 

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

It seemed to be an issue with the fact that Google earth is in degrees and the drawing only wants to use units of feet or meters.  Even if I set my coordinate system to one based on degrees, when I try to bring in a Bing aerial it want to know whether my dwg is in feet or meters.

Message 3 of 19
Pointdump

Kristen,

Please post your KMZ file or the Shapefile. (Zip up all 4 files -- DBF, PRJ, SHP, and SHX)

What is the desired Coordinate System?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Here is the shapefile info in zip file.  I cannot post the kmz as is it does not ahve a valid extension for attachment per the website.

Thanks,

Kristen

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

Desired coordinate system is Georgia State plane West, foot.
Message 6 of 19
Pointdump

Kristen,

You can post any file format on the forum if you put it in a zipped folder.

So what coordinate system did you want this shapefile in?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous

NAD 83, Georgia State Plane, West, foot

Message 8 of 19
Pointdump

Kristen,

OK, so these points are in Warner Robins, next to the Robins Air Force Base? Drawing attached, GA83-WF (US Survey Feet)

WarnerRobins.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 9 of 19
Pointdump

Kristen,

So, in answer to your questions.

Open the PRJ file with Notepad and you'll see this:
GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137,298.257223563]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]]

The "GCS" stands for Geographic Coordinate System (Round Earth with Angular Coordinates). Bing Live Maps only works with Projected Coordinate Systems (Flat with Cartesian Coordinates).

When you're ready to export a KML, you can do that in the Toolbox Tab under Miscellaneous Utilities.

KML.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks Pointdump.  So I am guessing that you converted the points from Lat/Long to State Plane before bringing them into CAD.  I have been doing that for a few years, but I was trying to find a more direct route as I expect to have to do this many, many, many times over the coming month.  Looks like I am out of luck as Bing Maps only works with projected coordinate systems.  That is why my decimal degree points all fall within 1 foot on the state plane based map.  I wanted to find out if I set the shapefile up with the correct coordinate system initially, if CAD could convert it correctly to my State Plane drawing when it comes in.  I convert from state plane to lat/long and vice versa in the Earthpoint service by Google frequently - and I guess I will have to keep on. 

Message 11 of 19
Pointdump

Kristen,

I used MAPIMPORT to bring that Shapefile directly into a GA83-WF drawing.

As for the KMZ, I'd do like you did, convert it to a shapefile first. I don't know if Civil 3D can directly import a KMZ/L.

Here's a really excellent 34-minute video by Jason Porter on how to transform data like a boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7HW6apnh3g

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 12 of 19
Pointdump

Kristen,

I made a ScreenCast of how to change the Coordinate System of the Shapefile on-the-fly with MapImport. One thing to make note of is to change the units to US Survey Feet BEFORE you select your GA83-WF Coordinate System. If you don't do that, C3D will lie to you and tell you your units are Survey Feet when in fact they are International Feet. With State Plane Coords that could throw things off.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

Really.  That what I was trying to do without any luck.  I tried bringing the points into a drawing that was set up on state plane coords with no luck (tried with and without the Bing maps already in background)  I also tried bringing the points into a new drawing and then setting the drawing up to state plane.  No luck there either.  However I have been utilizing the "Connect" tools through the Planning and Analysis toolspace to bring in the shapefile.  I will take a look at this and see if mapimport makes a difference.  I thought it was because AutoCAD wasn't able to recognize the coordinate system of the shapefile, so it didn't project it correctly - but it seems that you have had no trouble bringing it in directly.

As far as bringing in a KMZ/L file directly - I have done some searching on the forum, but no luck.  It is quite easy to change to a shapefile, so I will keep working it that way.

Let me take a look over the videos you sent and see what I can come up with.  Thanks so much!

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

I just finished working through the MapImport. Worked like a charm. I then went back and tried it with the "connect" tools and had luck there too. I then went back and tried an older .shp file that I was working with yesterday for another set of data (green route vs. red route). It did not come in correctly. Examining the data in the shapefiles shows a big difference and they were created through two different methods - one from .csv to shapefile, the other from .kmz to shapefile. I think that is where the problem lies. Thank you for all your assistance. A fresh day always seems to make the problems seem easier to solve.
Message 15 of 19
Pointdump

Kristen,

Please post the "Green Route" Shapefile.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

Here it is.  I included the original .csv file as well.  I converted this to a shapefile utilizing a free program called Quantum GIS.

Message 17 of 19
Pointdump

Kristen,

This is weird. Never had this happen before with zipped files. I can't use any of the files in Final Green. Could you please send them again?

FinalGreen.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 18 of 19
RalphBrown99

HI:

First of all, thank you very much to all for your help. In the steps that are shown in the video is possible to import shapefiles but no .kmz. How is possible to insert these .kmz in my CAD file?

Thanks in advance

Rafael Moreno

Message 19 of 19
TerryDotson
in reply to: RalphBrown99

How is possible to insert these .kmz in my CAD file?

If you were to consider low cost third party software, DotSoft's GeoLocation Plus will import KML/KMZ files directly into any AutoCAD 2015 or higher product.  It also does a lot of other things to improve your productivity !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report