Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import points with Long and Lat

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
Anonymous
33878 Views, 50 Replies

Import points with Long and Lat

Hello All,

We received from outside company the survey points with Longitude and Latitude. Can C3D import these coordinates? if not, anyone knows how to convert these Long and Lat to Northing and Easting?

Please help!

Thanks,

D

50 REPLIES 50
Message 21 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Dave, still having issues with this. I found the dialog box and know what everything is supposed to look like, but the point file I am using doesn't like the point file setup I created. I have tried it columnized with a .csv file as well as this way, comma delimited in a text file. (Point file attached.)

Error message:

Capture.PNG

This is what my "lat long" point file setup looks like: 

Capture2.PNG

I am working in the Whitehorse, Yukon area, and my drawing is set up as UTM NAD83 Zone 8, but I can't even get as far as creating a point file that will work in lat long elevation format, not XYZ. The only way he point file doesn't fail is if I choose ENZ which is of course wrong. I have tried different projections too - NAD83 lat long as as well as WSGS datum, Latitude-Longitude; degrees.

Hope that all makes sense. 

The reason I am importing the points is because the contour SHP files that are available for this area are not coming in with any elevation so I am trying to create contours with the point files. 

Message 22 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I figured it out.

I did not set a coordinate system for my new point file format setup. 

Capture.PNG

I didn't know that I needed a point number column for my csv file. That's why it wouldn't import before. 

This is how the import points dialog box should look. Note the "do coordinate transformation if possible" is toggled on. 

Capture2.PNG

So simple once you know how!! 

Message 23 of 51
Pointdump

Liesl,

The Point File Formats can be exasperating. Miss one little thing and it doesn't work. Here's the settings I used:

WhiteHorse.png

WhiteHorse2.png

Is this the right area?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 24 of 51
Pointdump

Liesl,

You beat me to the solution. Congratulations!

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 25 of 51
Pointdump

Liesl,

Is this where you got the Contour Shapefile?
http://data.whitehorse.ca/

Notice that near the bottom they have Aerial Images in ECW and MrSID and TIFF formats.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 26 of 51
Anonymous

Yes, that's the place. Very useful (and FREE) information for such a remote location. 

Message 27 of 51
albionpjl

Massively useful and very well timed. My thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

I just had a very similar problem. I was sent five sets of shape files, two of which turned out to be in lats and longs and the other three were in Ordnance Survey coordinates.
Huge headache with half the heritage assets landing somewhere in the Atlantic!

While not exactly the same, thanks to the info in this thread I was able to find the place, in the shape file mapimport dialogue box, where I could specify the coordinate system of the importing files. While I didn't know for certain which type of lat longs, as there are only a few that specify Great Britain, it was a matter of trial and error until I found the one that converted everything to land in the right spot. (The correct coordinates in OS eastings/northings were in the data.)

Message 28 of 51
Pointdump
in reply to: albionpjl

PJ,

"...which type of lat longs..."

Are you ready to dive down more rabbit holes?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/data-shift-from-hand-held-gps-data/td-p/63520...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-map-3d-general/new-osgb-co-ordinate-system/td-p/6530492

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 29 of 51
albionpjl

I'm not a ferret. I'll stay out of them. Lol.

It's bad enough that they corrected 'positional accuracy' on the maps a few years ago, which had an affect of 20-30m displacement of some borders and houses across our county.
I have to try to keep that in mind every time I'm trying to match a recently excavated site to one excavated in the same area 10 or more years ago. The older site will have been georefferenced to the old map, but may not be in the right place in the newer map, but the information used to georeference it in the first place will probably be on records long since archived at the museum and referencing map info that's long gone.

I hope that chap's right that the new change is only a matter of a few millimetres. We're unlikely to get new mapping for a couple of years so will be using GPSed surveys on older maps. Sigh. Presumably the GPS info will reflect the newer positions. Oh joy!!!

I think it's time to go home!

Message 30 of 51
bostonequipment

here are my steps. perhaps you can point out the flaw.

1. I create a text file with Lat, long points expressed in decimal degrees:  The points are from Plymouth Massachusetts.
    41.916262,-70.628773,0
    41.915988,-70.628822,0
    41.89144,-70.625107,0
    41.889189,-70.627438,0

2. I opened a new drawing and assigned it MA83F (Massachusetts mainland foot) coordinate system
  3. In this drawing I created a new Point File Format with a Coordinate Zone Transform of LL84I loaded the text file (without spaces) and then closed a couple dialog boxes in order to be allowed to input points. (nothing plotted)When I played with the spacing of the text file I was able to plot some points but the plot was bogus. Point File Format.pngPlease see the 3 screenshots:
  4. imported points.jpgstrange plot.jpg
Message 31 of 51
Pointdump
in reply to: bostonequipment

BE,

The "Degrees-Latitude" and "Degrees-Longitude" Format Headings expect an integer. If you hit the Parse Button you'll get a dialogue box saying as much:Test_Pts_5.png

Try choosing "DECDEG Latitude" and "DECDEG Longitude":

Test_Pts_4.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 32 of 51
bostonequipment

Success! Thanks for the quick reply. 

Message 33 of 51
saifumk8

I tried this method however after click OK button I'm getting this message "No points were transferred from the source"

Points from file.PNGno points.PNG

Message 34 of 51
saifumk8

I tried this method however after click OK button I'm getting this message "No points were transferred from the source"

Message 35 of 51
Pointdump
in reply to: saifumk8

Saifudheen,

Please show us a screen shot of your Point File Format. And can you post your point file?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 36 of 51
saifumk8

Thank you Dave for your quick response. 

Actually i'm trying to import points from KML which I have saved in excel format.

I have attached points csv file and points file format.

Point File format.PNGExcel Points from KML.PNG

Message 37 of 51
Pointdump

Saifudheen,

If you change "Degrees-Longitude" and "Degrees-Latitude" to "DECDEG Longitude" and "DECDEG Latitude" all will be good.

"Degrees" expects an integer, so that's why no points were transferred.LL84_Pts.png

LL84_Pts_2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 38 of 51
saifumk8

Thank you Very much Dave. it's working

I found also an alternative method by using  "Longitude" and "Latitude" with changing CSV cell format as attached below images. 

Excel Degree.PNGNew Point from file formate.PNG

Message 39 of 51
Pointdump

Saifudheen,

Very good. Just keep in mind that "Longitude" and "Latitude" expect Degrees, Minutes, and Seconds. (DD.MMSSssss)

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 40 of 51
Anonymous

Hello, I'm having the same problem I tried following the steps above but I'm having troubles importing as shown from the photos attached. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report