Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Profile Labels Bottom Anchor

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
b.johnson.4204
512 Views, 11 Replies

Pipe Profile Labels Bottom Anchor

Is there a way to ensure that a pipe label is always on the bottom of the pipe in profile view with 1 label style? When I switch profile directions (right to left vs left to right) the pipe label switches from bottom to top. Is there a setting or expression somewhere where so I can consolidate two labels into one? Thanks!

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
MMcCall402
in reply to: b.johnson.4204

You could anchor the label to the centerline and then use an expression to provide a Y offset distance to the bottom of the pipe.  It would still reverse the way it does now when the profile goes in the opposite direction, however the labels could be 'flipped' and then be in the right location.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 3 of 12
MMcCall402

Another option would be to reverse the stationing on the alignment by setting a station equation in the alignment properties that is set to a decreasing station value rather than increasing.  (drop the - sign in labelling if necessary)   Then the profile view can be left to right but appear like its right to left.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 4 of 12
b.johnson.4204
in reply to: MMcCall402

Do you have an example of how this expression would function? My experience with expressions is somewhat limited.

Message 5 of 12
cneely

I switch directions and my pipe labels work fine. Can you post a screenshot of before/after?

AEC Collection 2022
WIN 10 PRO
Dell 3650, Intel i9-11900k @ 3.50GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA QUADRO RTX 4000
http://www.cobbfendley.com
Message 6 of 12
MMcCall402

The expression could look something like this.

The following is based on imperial units and an anchor point to the outside of the pipe.  It takes the outside diameter of the pipe, in feet, and converts it to the radius in inches (1/24), then divides it by a the vertical scale of the profile view, assuming a 10:1 vertical exaggeration, then lastly adds a little offset amount to push the label beyond the pipe.  The inclusion of the drawing scale allows the label style to be used at any scale.

This works pretty well, unless the pipe slopes start to become extreme.   Slope could be introduced into the equation as well to compensate for the slope but this example should work for most situations without getting too complicated.

image.png

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 7 of 12
b.johnson.4204

That is a similar expression that I came up with, so that is good to know. Where I am confused is how to use this in the label style. I have created expressions that go inside the "contents" portion of the label style, but this is an expression for the offset. Can expressions be used in the offset portion of the style?

Message 8 of 12
MMcCall402

Yes, go to the Y offset value in the label style and the name of your expression should be listed as an available value.

image.png

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 9 of 12
b.johnson.4204

Learn something new every day! Thank you!

Message 10 of 12
b.johnson.4204

After the drawing scale in the expression, you divided by 120. You mentioned assuming a 10:1 vertical exaggeration, which we typically don't do. I went to modify my expression since that gap was too large but am running into trouble modifying it. What does that "120" in the expression represent? I think that number is where I am running into issues.

Message 11 of 12
MMcCall402

Its a combination of a conversion from feet to inches and the vertical
exaggeration fo 10:1

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 12 of 12
b.johnson.4204

That makes sense. Thanks, got it working finally! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report