Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import points with Long and Lat

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
Anonymous
34646 Views, 50 Replies

Import points with Long and Lat

Hello All,

We received from outside company the survey points with Longitude and Latitude. Can C3D import these coordinates? if not, anyone knows how to convert these Long and Lat to Northing and Easting?

Please help!

Thanks,

D

50 REPLIES 50
Message 2 of 51
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

You'll need to build a new point file format for the import of the data base on the lat long information in your file (is it decimal degrees, degrees, mins, secs, DD.MMSSSSS etc), and then use this point file format when in import your point data.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 51
Anonymous

I really don't understand your advises. The import points just be able to import with Northing, Easting and Z only. Could you be more specific?

Message 4 of 51
peterfunkautodesk

The Civil 3D Point Import tools can import a Lat / Long file, but it will need a new "Point File Format" that fits the data that you have.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 51
Sinc

Here's an image, showing a sample of what Peter's talking about:

PFF-LatLong.png

This Point File Format is using the "Dashed" variant of the Lat and Long.  The bottom portion of the dialog box shows a sample input file.

There are other variants of Lat/Long as well, for example, Decimal degrees.  All you need to do is create a Point File Format that matches the format of whatever data you want to import.

Oh, and prior to importing data, you must also have the coordinate zone set in your Drawing Settings.  Otherwise, Civil 3D has no way to resolve the Lat/Long into a Northing/Easting.

Sinc
Message 6 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: Sinc

Hello, it's 5 years later and I am struggling with this exact thing. I have a massive point file that is in lat, long that I want to use to create contours. I can't for the life of me find that point file format dialog box mentioned above. Please help!
Thank you
(I use AutoCAD civil 3D 2016)
Message 7 of 51
Pointdump

Liesl,

Are you still using UTM Nad83 Zone 11N? Please post some of your lat/long data, and the other big question is what Geographical Coordinate System they are in. Are they LL84(WGS84), LL83(NAD83), or some other?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 51
Anonymous

your drawing must be set to the coordinate system that lat long file is derived from.  You have to setup a point file format to cover the format of the file you are importing, i.e. if your file is latitude, longitude, elevation, then your point file format is latitude longitude and elevation.  Be sure to use the same format of the latitude and longitude, whether it's listed in decimal degrees, dashed etc. and the separator type if it's comma, tab or delimited by another character.

John

Message 9 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Hey Dave,

I am working in the Nunavut area so it's NAD83 Zone 13.

My points (csv file - about 20 thousand points) are all lat long. These were provided by GegGratis. So I read somewhere that there you can change your point file format when you import it. I even know what the dialog box looks like. But I can't find that box anywhere. Acording to this source you can tell the program to do the conversion from lat long to UTM as you import them.

A sampling of the points (elevation in the third column).

I am trying to create contours of the Cambridge Bay area. The DEM provided by the government is too sparse - 30m intervals. So I am trying to create my own,

Any advice as to how to get that dialog box while importng the points would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 51
Anonymous

^ The columns came out whacky in my post. The "38" at the end of the lines are the elevations.

Message 11 of 51
Anonymous

depending on the format of the file, you would specify the separator.

on the import point file dialog, the second box down are the point file types you have setup in the drawing.  The button on the top right of that box is used to bring up the point file format tool.

import.PNG

then select new point file format, you get this dialog, where you will specify the settings for the format.

point file format.PNG

Message 12 of 51
Pointdump

Liesl,

You're looking for Point File Formats. Here:

GeoCoordSys2.png

Next question is whether those Longs and Lats are Decimal or DMS.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 13 of 51
Anonymous

WOOHOOO!!!

That's what I needed. You're my hero. Thanks John!!

Message 14 of 51
Anonymous

Thank you Dave! I've got 'er all figured out. They were decimal degrees, thank goodness THAT I can figure out. Geez this had me scratching my head all day. Ugh. Unbillable time..... 

Cheers,

Liesl

Message 15 of 51
Anonymous

So I tried this, and the dialog says it recognizes the format, but I get a message stating that "No points were transferred from the source."

Capture.JPG

This is the Point File format that I used.

Capture-2.JPG

Message 16 of 51
Pointdump

Chris,

Couple of observations. Your file name is PNEZD Format.csv, but the data looks like PLatLonE. And CA83-IIF is a projected (northings and eastings) coordinate system, not a geographic (Lats and Longs) coordinate system.

Are all of your points at zero elevation? Are those lats and longs in decimal degrees or DD.MMSSss? Where does your data come from?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 17 of 51
Anonymous

Yes, I believe the Lat Longs are deciaml degrees. Ignore the file name, the person who sent it did not know what PNEZD meant. All the elevations are at zero, we are concerned with the horizontal location of the points. I tried the coordinate conversion to see if that would yield something different, but it still said the data was not imported. The data was sent from a potential client.

Thanks,

Chris

Message 18 of 51
Pointdump

Chris,

Your Point File Format shows the tabular data is Degrees-Lat and Degrees-Long, which are Angles. Under "Coordinate Zone Transform" you're also identifying the data as CA83-IIF coordinates, which are Cartesian. No wonder Civil 3D is confused and refuses to import your data.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 19 of 51
Anonymous

Thank you for criticizing and not offering help. I have gone through all the different Lat Long options as well as not tranform the data to no avail. What I showed you was my last attempt to get it to work.

Message 20 of 51
Pointdump

Chris,

Those 4 points look like they are just south of Grass Valley, California:

GrassValley.png

I've already told you what IS wrong with your data import. Are you interested in what MIGHT be, and I suspect is, wrong?

The hardest thing about helping on this Forum is seeing what you see. You'll need to post your point file before I can confirm my suspicion.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report