Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import points with Long and Lat

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
Anonymous
33870 Views, 50 Replies

Import points with Long and Lat

Hello All,

We received from outside company the survey points with Longitude and Latitude. Can C3D import these coordinates? if not, anyone knows how to convert these Long and Lat to Northing and Easting?

Please help!

Thanks,

D

50 REPLIES 50
Message 41 of 51
saifumk8
in reply to: Anonymous

Set your drawing coordinate system before importing the points and please note it should be a non-LL coordinate zone. Please refer to the screenshot.

Units and Zone.PNG

Message 42 of 51
gonecrawfishin

What does it mean to have a coordinate system set up to Lat Long? Lat-long is sort of its own universal (non planar) coordinate system, no? 

Message 43 of 51
Pointdump

Eaizen,
That error message is telling you that you must assign (MAPCSASSIGN) to your drawing a Projected Coordinate System(Feet or Meter Units), not a Geographic Coordinate System(Degree Units).
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 44 of 51
Pointdump
in reply to: gonecrawfishin

Jennifer,
In MAPCSLIBRARY notice the Units:

CRS_1.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 45 of 51
carlos.chuecos
in reply to: Pointdump

Dave.

I have a csv file using lat lon for referencing the points. Despite I can preview them in the "Import Points" dialog box, the message  "No points were transferred from the source". I'm using Civil 3D 2020.4, and my drawing and the points are set up to TX83-CF

What can it be wrong. I'm attaching the csv file.

Thanks

Message 46 of 51
carlos.chuecos
in reply to: Pointdump

Dave.

I have a csv file using lat lon for referencing the points. Despite I can preview them in the "Import Points" dialog box, the message  "No points were transferred from the source". I'm using Civil 3D 2020.4, and my drawing and the points are set up to TX83-CF

What can it be wrong. I'm attaching the csv file.

Thanks

Message 47 of 51
saifumk8
in reply to: carlos.chuecos

Instead of “Degrees-Latitude” and “Degrees-Longitude” try to “DECDEG-Latitude” and “DECDEG-Longitude”

Message 48 of 51
Pointdump
in reply to: carlos.chuecos

Carlos,
As @saifumk8 says, use “DECDEG-Latitude” and “DECDEG-Longitude”.

ImportPts_1.png

ImportPts_2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 49 of 51
carlos.chuecos
in reply to: saifumk8

You're totally right. That solved my problem.

Thank you so much.

Carlos Chuecos

Message 50 of 51
carlos.chuecos

Thank you John. That helps me.

Message 51 of 51
cramirodi

To import points in decimal degrees format from an excel file, you will need a file that contains 3 columns without titles. The first column should have the name or number of the point, the second column should contain the latitude, and the third column should contain the longitude. Once you have created this file, save it as a .CSV file.

To import the points, right-click on the "points" option under the tool space and select "create". From there, choose "import points" which is located in the top right corner.

To create a new point file format, click on the cog with the pencil icon and hit "new". You can now name the new format "Lat Long", set the default extension as .csv, and choose "delimited by check" which will allow you to write a comma (,) in the square. Next, select the columns in the same order as your .csv file, starting with the point number, followed by DECDEG Latitude, and DECDEG Longitude. Ensure that the precision decimals match the ones you need from your file, as these refer to the decimals after the period on the latitude and longitude. Once you have set up the new format, you can use it to import your points.

If you cannot see the points, go to the tool space, expand "Point Groups", right-click on "All points" and select "properties". Make sure that your point style is set to "Standard" and that the overrides have turned on the properties you want to display.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report