Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handicap Ramps

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
4001 Views, 18 Replies

Handicap Ramps

I am trying to model a handicap ramp at a curb return. My goal is to do it in a way that is as easily editable as possible.
So far, at the curb return, I have 3 regions. Region 2 (middle) has the curb with .01 height. Regions 1 and 3 have full height vertical curbs and are gapped away from region 2 (so the region 1 curb angles down to meet the region 2 curb and then climbs up to region 3 curb height). The gapped areas of course have created flat flowlines instead of curved, which isn't good.
As far as the ramp and sidewalk parts go, is there any way to not "stick frame it" using feature lines?
Has anyone come up with a good method for doing this?
Please let me know. Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Civil3DReminders
in reply to: Anonymous

I just stick frame it using feature lines, although I don't always model them into the surface. Here's a screen shot of on of them. The squiggly lines are because I haven't optimized my 3DConfig settings.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks for the info. on this subject.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

If you're building the inttersection with a cooridor, can you go back & add the ramp w/ feature lines?
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

Do you mean doing the curb return as if the ramp wasn't there using the corridor - then "carving out" the ramp using feature lines?
I'll give that a shot. I was trying to do it without using feature lines at all but I think resistance is futile.
Thanks for the response.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

That's what I was thinking. I'd drop the face of curb to gutterline with the corridor, and then build the ramp behind it with feature lines.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous

Just a note about adding feature lines over corridor surfaces. Sometimes the feature lines do not completely overwrite the underlying surface points from the corridor assemblies. The TIN lines may still connect to, say, top of curb points in the ramp area, requiring you to do some surface point editing.

A solution to this is to create a new "Composite" surface and paste your corridor surface into it. Then create your ramps as a separate surface and paste that surface into the new composite surface. This forces the overwrite without problems. Any updates to the parent surfaces (corridor and/or ramps) will be reflected in the composite surface. This idea works for bullnoses at median breaks, too, and other situations where adding feature lines over a corridor surface is desired.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

I have two curb returns, one at each side of an entrance into a neighborhood. The ramps are each at the mid point of the return. So I have two ramps and I am trying two different methods.

One method is using corridor assemblies as much as possible. I am using assemblies to start at full height, then a gap of no corridor (so it transistions down), then a mid height assembly, then a gap, then a no height assembly (with a sidewalk and road shoulder to represent the ramp and the sidewalk beyond it, then gap, then mid height, then gap, then full height. I'm concerned about having a long flat face of curb between the full height part and the no height part, so I put in the half height part to help smooth it out.

Is there a way to make the curb go from full hight to no height and back up, using a corridor, and still have a smooth curved flowline?
I still need feature lines to build the sidewalk.
At the moment I'm still trying to fix the surface.

The second method is creating the curb as if the ramp wasn't there. Then create the ramp surface out of feature lines.Still working on this too.
When I paste the ramp surface to the corridor surface I get a ramp from the gutterline up to the \______/ tapering transition line that makes the top face of curb. Not good. Any ideas why this is happening?
I prefer this second method but I'm still trying to get any of it to work right.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

As a result of pasting the "handi-cap ramp" tin into the previously created corridor tin that built the curb return, I now have a ramp that is tied from the gutter (1' offset from the flowline) up to the top face of curb. So, in front of the handi-cap ramp, I no longer have a flowline, it hase been filled in with a ramp.

Why did that happen? I tried to fix it with a break line in the flowline, but it didn't work. Any ideas?
Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Any chance you can put a PNG picture online? Like a 3D orbital view? I need to see exactly what you're talking about. Also, in plan view, if you can show me exactly where the feature lines for your ramp went. Better yet, send me the file (if it's less than 10Mb) and let me check it out from here.

gbarnes@burypartners.com

Having said that, let me add that I think you're doing WAY too much work for this. We never model the ramps nor the sidewalks. The contractors don't need that information, just the top of curb as if the ramps weren't there. They know how to put the ramps in with just that information.

Message 11 of 19
ctbailey

the contractors would install it wrong anyways, even if this guy does get his ramps to model correctly.
_______
Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS, PSM
Bailey Associates
www.bailey-associates.com
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

It takes a detailed drawing, and an inspector there during construction
that is very knowledgeable about ADA.  Otherwise, it takes a jack hammer
and more concrete!

Brad
C3D 2009 SP2.1
XP Pro

the
contractors would install it wrong anyways, even if this guy does get his ramps
to model correctly.
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

Point taken. I quite trying to model the ramps. The effort isn't required.
I did get the ramp the model correctly (but not the flowline still). It looks pretty good.
because of this excerise I did learn more about editing surfaces and using corridor entities and feature lines.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

Chainring, look at this.

http://www.civil3d.com/2007/10/creating-handicap-ramps-in-your-corridors/

It's a very good start and it works.

Good luck and I'm sorry about my english.

Marcello Porretto
Rio de Janeiro / Brasil
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks. I have to custom design some handicapped ramps for a job
in a hilly part of town, so this may come in handy.  Normally in flat
area we just call for a standard type from the DOT standard drawings.  I
was debating how to do these.  I guess I will try both ways
mentioned. 

Brad
C3D 2009 SP2.1
XP Pro

Chainring,
look at this.
http://www.civil3d.com/2007/10/creating-handicap-ramps-in-your-corridors/ It's a
very good start and it works. Good luck and I'm sorry about my english. Marcello
Porretto Rio de Janeiro / Brasil
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

Although I haven't actually tried it, this way of doing it looks like a really good way to do it. I have to see for myself if it will work on a curb return that is steep.
I showed my co workers also. Thanks for the great info.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: ctbailey

what about directional ramps, such as the one attached?  I'm planning on using feature lines to fill this area in.  Any ideas on how to get this detail in the corridor.

Thanks.

Michael

Message 18 of 19
Neilw_05

While you can ignore modeling ramps in many situations, sometimes the elevations play a critical role in site design, particlarly when access to buildings from the ramps is tight and you need dynamic feedback to help detect excessive slopes. In those situations I find gradings are best suited since they are excellent in modeling the transitions. Typically the grading would target the 1" curb lip along the ramp and full curb height at the ends. Then add a transition to get the sloped curbs. Add a flat .5 offset for back of curb and then a 1.5% sidewalk to the back of curb and you have it. Of course you do have to hold you breath when manipulating the gradings, but it is the olnly way to have a dynamic model in this situation.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 19 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: ctbailey

I can definitely avoid modeling the ramp and get a set of plans that looks great, but the reason I am trying to put the ramp in the corridor is because I want to create a visualization once I'm finished.  So I want to try and make a continuous corridor for the whole project.

I will try your method...it looks like a good way to approach it.

Thanks,

Michael

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report