Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing/Modifying a LandXML Surface

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1370 Views, 1 Reply

Editing/Modifying a LandXML Surface

Hello,

I am trying to modify a LandXML surface for a project, where I am moving a section of a river channel to align with a bridge opening. So far the only way I have been able to modify the XML's elevation data is with feature lines, however this only modifies the data along the line, and not anywhere else. I need to be able to modify/edit the XML surface in larger extents to speed along the process of realigning the channel. Are there any easy tools to do this, such as changing elevations of the surface between feature lines?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

LandXML surfaces are by nature static models. Typically LandXML is used to exchange data between softwares that use different technologies for surface models. Thus if you have imported a surface model from a LandXML file, it should be considered a static surface. A typical scenario is you receive a Landxml file for an existing terrain model from a surveyor. You import it into C3D and use it as the base terrain for doing your design.

If for some reason you need to edit that base surface model you have a couple of options.

1. You can use surface editing tools to manipulate the triangles and points in the surface model.

2. You can use Civil 3D modeling tools to create a model of the portion to be revised and paste that model into the original surface model, thus replacing the triangles with the new triangles.

3. When creating a surface from a LandXML file, you have the option to include the points and breaklines that were used to create the surface. If you use that option, those points and breaklines will be created in the drawing along with the surface object. You could then use those objects to create a new surface and that new surface would update when you manipulate those objects.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report