Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Profile to Polyline

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
14601 Views, 12 Replies

Convert Profile to Polyline

Is there a way to extract a simple polyline from a profile in Civil 3d 2010?  I simply want to offset the proposed profile to indicate another feature, but can't seem to find a way to create an offset-able polyline out of the proposed profile.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

Offset horizontally or vertically? What version are you using?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

I want to offset the profile vertically within the profile view.  I'm using Civil 3d 2010.

Message 4 of 13
neilyj666

Change it to static, offset as you wish then change the original back to dynamic. (The offset isn't dynamic but creating and sampling another surface would get a dynamic profile)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 13
Sinc

Why try to turn a Profile into a polyline?  A polyline can't represent the curves in a Profile, so if you have any vertical curves, the polyline would have to be tesselated.

Why not just copy the Profile?  (Select the Profile, right-click -> Edit Geometry, then use "Copy Profile" in the Profile Geometry tools.)  Then raise/lower the copy by the desired amount.  This also gives you the benefit of being able to put Labels on your offset Profile.

CopyProfile.png

Sinc
Message 6 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: Sinc

Not that I don't agree that you should stick with Civil 3D objects as much as possible and I don't know the OPs intentions. But your suggestion runs into the same problem as you would with a Surface. Raising or lowering is not an offset.

Since most design is based on a height above ground of some other reference. Raising or lowering a copy would be appropriate. But in a case where an actual offset is required (can't think of an example myself) then is doesn't work.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: AllenJessup

I presumed the OP wanted to "offest" by raising or lowering which won't obviously be a true offset but sometimes is adequate for the purpose- perhaps he/she will clarify the intent

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: neilyj666

I agree. As I said I couldn't think of any reason why you would need a true offset. But the OP may have more imagination than I do of his bosses may be crazier than those I've worked for!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
jim.poole

Quick dirty method for creating polylines from profiles.

1) Save the drawing as a new version.

2) Delete the surface that the profile is generated from - the profile becomes an editable entity.

3) explode it into a block, then into lines.

4) JOIN the lines - bingo

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jim.poole

jim.poole, yours is the only true answer. Thank you Jim, this worked perfectly.
Several examples of things not answering the OP's question:
Change it to static, offset as you wish then change the original back to dynamic.
Why try to turn a Profile into a polyline?
Why not just copy the Profile? Then raise/lower the copy by the desired amount.
I don't know the OPs intentions.
I presumed the OP wanted to "offest" by raising or lowering...
I couldn't think of any reason why you would need a true offset.

Message 11 of 13
cwr-pae

One more option that may give desired results. Create a feature line from the alignment, project it to the profile view, then raise/lower as is or explode, rejoin and offset.

Message 12 of 13
cwr-pae
in reply to: jim.poole

An easier quicker way. Explode the profile, copy to clip board with base point 0,0 and undo twice to get the profile back. Then paste to 0,0.

Message 13 of 13
KirkWM

I believe there are a few apps in the app store that can speed this up as well. There's a free one called "

Reference Polyline From Profile" seems like what you are after, and Red Light has one for $10.

https://apps.autodesk.com/CIV3D/en/Detail/Index?id=3240925303390256952&appLang=en&os=Win64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report